Tool Prices....

Goose

The other day while I was sitting in the customer waiting area of our local Farmer's Coop service station while a set of tires were being mounted on my pickup, I checked out the available reading material. A Mac tools catalog was included, so I leafed through it. I couldn't believe the prices.

A set of 8 slip-joint pliers, commonly referred to as 'water pump' pliers was priced at $649.00 for the set. That's an average of $81.00 per pliers. Do people actually go for deals like that? Although there was a significant difference in size between the largest and smallest, the individual pliers were close enough in size to the next one I'm not sure why one would need eight of them.

The other day while I was sitting in the customer waiting area of our local Farmer's Coop service station while a set of tires were being mounted on my pickup, I checked out the available reading material. A Mac tools catalog was included, so I leafed through it. I couldn't believe the prices.

A set of 8 slip-joint pliers, commonly referred to as 'water pump' pliers was priced at $649.00 for the set. That's an average of $81.00 per pliers. Do people actually go for deals like that? Although there was a significant difference in size between the largest and smallest, the individual pliers were close enough in size to the next one I'm not sure why one would need eight of them.
They offer financing, and one can never have too many $$$ tools, LOL!

The tool trucks that visit the mechanics at their job must be ruled by some type of mafia as they all sell tools at the same highly inflated prices.

No competitor ever dares to undercut another brands prices.

And you never hear of any collusion investigations on the above fact.

Those tools trucks are one of the biggest scams going. Matco tops them all. 90% of what Matco offers can be gotten at Harbor Freight.
Like mentioned. They offer financing and that's about all that keeps them in business.
I am not about to pay no bank $250,000 for a $50.000 house just because they offer financing. Same as I would not pay $100 for a $10.00 screw driver.

From 2007 thru 2022 I would have sent someone on my crew showing up with HF tools home.

Fine for home use, I own some, but typically not hard everyday use. My tool box has everything from HF to the professional brands, you get what you pay for!

American made quality costs money. The majority of my tools and all of my boxes are SnapOn, I would hate to rebuy them at todays prices but when I use them they are priceless.
You do know that according to their website SnapOn has manufacturers in 29 countries, don't you?

It's the American way,buy now pay later. The only scam of the tool trucks is getting one guy to buy a $9,000.00 dollar roll cabinet,so the kid just starting out decides he has to have a $10,00.00 cabinet. BTW tool boxes are needed and the best for the money is at HF. I think I have 7 Snap On boxes in the shop, and HF have better options.

It's the American way,buy now pay later. The only scam of the tool trucks is getting one guy to buy a $9,000.00 dollar roll cabinet,so the kid just starting out decides he has to have a $10,00.00 cabinet. BTW tool boxes are needed and the best for the money is at HF. I think I have 7 Snap On boxes in the shop, and HF have better options.
My American way is; If I can’t afford to pay cash, I don’t need it. Except for certain real estate deals.

There is Harbor Freight grade tools, there are SnapOn grade tools and there are a number of very good tools that land in the middle, SK and KT spring to mind. Klein and Malco are there too, but they are mostly for electrical and HVAC work. I have a 3/8" drive SK set that has both metric and SAE in both shallow and deep well that I have used nearly every day for the last 25 years. Paid $69 for it on sale and is one of the best buys I ever made, can't imagine being without it. I inherited a 1/2" drive John Deere socket set from the 70's, no idea what it cost new, but it has also stood up very well. I have a KT 3/4" drive that has seen use that borders on abuse but has also stood up very well. Old Craftsman wrenches are also very good but do not demand top end prices. I have also haunted yard sales and pawn shops and gathered up quite a few SnapOn wrenches at prices far below what they charge on the tool truck.

Now i have bought some Harbor Freight stuff where the quality is good enough for an occasional use and there is no need to pay top shelf prices for some tools that are essentially consumables. Now and then I buy a handful of 1/2" and 9/16" wrenches to have in various toolboxes and in vehicles and tractors where I don't cry if one goes missing.

No doubt that SnapOn, MAC and the like are excellent tools, but for me, I would rather take the money that they cost and have a wider array of decent tools.

Those tools trucks are one of the biggest scams going. Matco tops them all. 90% of what Matco offers can be gotten at Harbor Freight.
Like mentioned. They offer financing and that's about all that keeps them in business.
I am not about to pay no bank $250,000 for a $50.000 house just because they offer financing. Same as I would not pay $100 for a $10.00 screw driver.
Screwdrivers are one of the better buys on tool trucks. You will wear out screwdrivers no matter what brand. The tool trucks will replace/rebuild them for free.

Snap on offers something like 50% off to the kids in trade school. If they can spare the money, it’s the best time to buy tools. Gotta get them hooked early.

I've bought a lot of pawn shop and new tools of about every brand out there. From cheap to Snap-On and Mac,Proto and the like. Latest was a couple 3/8and half inch Proto Rachets also got new parts for a couple other ratchets so now have all of them working in good order. Got a few 3/4 drives sets I have bought on auctions as well as a set of Proto new back 40 years ago when you could buy the whole set piecemeal cheaper and get from about 7/8-2 inch with ratchet extensions for about 200.00 or there about. Got a set of Wright 1 inch stuff up to about 2-1/2 or something like that. Wished I had more cash that night would have bought all they had there that time only picked out a set of regular and deep well in impact sockets and a couple extensions at the time. went back and it was all gone so missed out there further. Screw drivers get used for everything from what they are designed for to pry bars to get a bigger one in so I buy cheap ones of them. I also try to keep only one for those abuse purposes.

Recently I added to my box/oe wrench stash.....applicable to unique jobs, like split box ends that slip over diesel fuel lines and fit on the injector nut. In the process I found premium wrenches shopping HF at maybe 50% higher than the normal wrenches of that type. I observed the quality and though they deserved it and then noticed that they were made in Taiwan, not China like most tools there. Maybe the increase was due to the strength to reliably do that particular job, or may be due to the country or origin, or maybe a little bit if both.

I’ve owned and used different brands of hand tools over 60 years and my absolute favorite and the best in my opinion and experience is Williams !!!! Never seen or used any better. I own some snap on Mac. Proto SK Craftsman Williams and it’s my opinion those super expensive big truck sold tools while great and good quality are NOT worth two or three times other quality brand tools.

Of course there’s no right or wrong or one size fits all answer for everyone here and different gents have different experiences and opinions but mine is for the Williams tools best I ever owned and used

To each their own opinions and experiences on this one

John T

Every person that buys a house with a mortgage does exactly that! They pay nearly $300,000 for a $100,000 house.

I have quite an assortment of tools in my box from days gone by. While I do like the Snao-On tools, either Mac or Matco offer similar quality at more affordable prices. One that I used to prefer was S-K Wayne. Their tools were top quality, but their warranty went away as soon as you broke one. Some lesser known brands like Cornwall, Proto, Bonney Forge and a few others were also decent tools.
The one I learned to dislike was Craftsman. Their wrenches were uncomfortable to the hand and their sockets were mostly 12-point.
12-point sockets are the best way to round off a tight bolt head or nut.
Then there were the specialty tools. Like Vise-Grips and Channellock pliers. Those were the best, and you paid for them.

One thing is certain. Good tools are expensive.

Most all my tools are old USA made: Craftsman, SnapOn, S-K, Mac, Williams........

A lifetimes collection I could not afford to replace today, with tools of lesser quality made overseas.....

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back