TO 35 rear axel spacing

Steve K

What's the proper way to determin if the spacing between the ends of the axels is correct? When I removed the axels there were a number of shims on each side. I assembeld everything the same way it came apart except that I added the paper gaskets between the axel housing and backing plate. I replaced the wheel bearings and seals. Now there is a definite Klunk when the tractor moves side to side. ALL bolts are installed and torqed on the axel flanges. Any Thoughts? Thanks.
Steve

Those shims you took out should have been put back in the exact same way. Jack the back end up so the tires are just off the ground, and turn one wheel, the other wheel should turn the opposite direction. If it doesn't more or less shims are needed. I can't remember right off hand which way to go but there are several post in the archives where you can find out. Richard

Thanks for the info. I did replace the shims juast as they were. I guess I"ll remove some the approximate thickness of the gaskets and see how it is. I know the ends of the axels should not touch each other either.
Steve

Jack up both rear wheels. Turn one forward, other should turn backward, or vice versa. If other one turns same way, too tight. If other one does not turn, too loose.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back