TEA -20 Starter switch and gear lever questions.

Gents,
This an ongoing battle LOL!
I fixed the gear lever operated switch, as it was badly burned and such.
Got it all cleaned up and the copper contacts are still proud of the bakelite housing and the disk is cleaned up and spring good.
Put it in and no contact when gear lever is pressed towards start. Tried moving switch forward, slots are all clean, no joy.

Read up here and John in UK said take filler cover off and try Gently moving selector. (Thank you John!)

In Neutral I can buzz the selector back and forward into reverse and start no bother, and when I do this I have contact in starter switch. but, when I try with gear shift, it runs into the shift guide for "Start" position.
Gear shift works fine in reverse and all the other gears.

My question;
How are the shifter guides attached to the gearbox cover?
Is it possible to move them a shade? a 1/16" would give me the clearance for the gear lever to move selector back into 'start. as it is, it only goes half way back.

That's If the guides Are attached to cover.

I do have a book ordered but it is still on its way.

Thank you for any help,
Richard.

Good morning Richard JH
I'm presently 2333 miles from my summer residence...thus my TEA-20 is still sleeping..lol
Pics are several I have with me,and the verbiage was for an Individual that was looking for direction on seized shifter rails..
The TEA-20 and the T0-20 have the same Transmission / components but NOT the same Cover.
IF the end of the Gear Shifter is badly worn,and or the Slot in the shifter is badly worn,then the shift rail will NOT travel far enough..
Bob..Winter Arizona USA......Summer Alberta Canada
cvphoto152291.jpg

cvphoto152292.jpg

cvphoto152293.jpg

cvphoto152294.jpg

cvphoto152295.jpg

cvphoto152297.jpg

Well Bob, aren't you a clever lad! Wintering where its warm and us been freezing out tailfeathers off up here all winter!
We are west of Innisfail.
Brit, but been here since '84.

Bob, The end of the shifter is in lovely order, and not much wear on the shifter rails.
The trouble is/was, that the gear shifter ran into the corner of the gear lever guide.
In the end, after a lot of pratting about, I put a light prybar in the gear lever hole and Gently reefed on the guide, moving it a tiny bit, and now the gear lever does not hit it when going to the "Start" position.
It goes into all gears grand, and the "start" switch makes contact.
The wiring was a bit chaotic, and this is my weak area!

I put on a new earth cable, and the two positives, one from switch to battery, one from other side of switch to starter, and wire from coil to resistor, and from resistor to on/off key switch , (new also)
It turns over like a champ now!

Question;
Does this sound to be wired up kind of right, Bob, seeing as the starter can be engaged with the key switched on or off?
I'd think so, but the key closes and opens the circuit to the coil, so the fire will go out when switched off, or of course won't start.
I have been around Fordson Majors since I was a kid back home, first driving one in 1959. pulled them apart and rebuilt engines and such. still have three here on the farm, but this is the first little Fergie I have played with!
I really like him and he shows promise, even after standing for decades.
Someone gave him a paint job like a Massy Ferguson. silver and read.

All the best,
Richard.

Quote:
I put on a new earth cable, and the two positives, one from switch to battery, one from other side of switch to starter, and wire from coil to resistor, and from resistor to on/off key switch , (new also)

It turns over like a champ now!

Question;

Does this sound to be wired up kind of right, Bob, seeing as the starter can be engaged with the key switched on or off?

YES........To your above question......:)

NOTE:
Picture.
YELLOW EARTH / GROUND runs from battery DIRECTLY to Starter.
Pic is on Intrnet...
Thank you to Charles in Aust.
cvphoto152363.jpg

John/ JH, Gents as its been awhile since this OLD guy has worked on the Fergies, I will confirm that from the factory, the TEA20 was Positive ground , as well if still factory wired , the gear shift selected in the S position will crank the engine.....but should only fire up, when the key is turned on......

As it is now in the hands of a new happy fergie guy, here is the one that also resided 200 miles from my residence .....

The one with the blade was at my residence

mvphoto104648.jpg

mvphoto104649.jpg

A very neat set-up Alex!
The sow here was savage this year. up to hip pockets in a lot of the fields. Deer were sticking to main trails and I left aj old wood grain bin door open so they could help themselves to some past it wheat. (poor germination)

Bob,
I see that that yellow is grounded to the starter mounting bolt it seems.
My Earth wire (ground) is black and it is also attached to the starter mounting bolt, but top one.
Had to go for a ferrule for fuel pipe to carb today. Had some in the drawer, but all wrong size.
Looking for the right one. the girl dropped the wedding band and it went under the shelves. Fiddling for it I found a roll of copper fuel line the right size hiding under there, so brought that home as well!

It may be someone was working on this and maybe snuffed it, as the distributer cap is brand new. not a mark on it inside or out.

All the best,
Richard.

Thank you for acknowledging the photograph of my 1952 TED John Deere .

Richard , as a first step I would elongate the mount holes in your starter switch . A chainsaw file does a nice job , it only needs a few millimetres to allow the switch further travel and better contact .
Be extra careful to have the ignition off and key out when fiddling around with the starter switch , last thing you want is to be run over by the back wheel .

Good morning Charles,

Thank you for the warning of the Dunlop tattoos!
Yes, I disconnected , actually removed battery and box to better get at the starter switch. It is working V well after I elongated the holes like you mention. Turns over very well now.

A lot of these old tractors will run us over if starting from the ground and are a bit careless. I have a couple of old Cockshutt 30's that will do that if you let them. Very handy tractors for running an auger, as is the old FSM.

Someone put an old Chev alternator on this Fergie, so will see how that works when I get her fired up.
Engine looked Rough ! Covered in condensation rust from standing outside for a coons age.

all the best,
Richard.
mvphoto104671.jpg

mvphoto104672.jpg

This post was edited by Richard JH. on 04/15/2023 at 07:53 am.

I know it sort of Looks like a 35, but tag on dash (cant find picture)
says TEA and serial number for 1954.
Been to a painter and decorator at some time.
Had to pull rocker shaft and push rods, but no valves were stuck.
Cleaned up what I could . did rocker shaft and push rods in caustic to take the rust and crap off. no valves were stuck, but a few cam followers were sluggish.
ATF and Dexron in plug holes had her freed off in about a week.
Oil looked clean, but got dumped of course. some water in sump from condensation.
Pics of tractor where when he was still sitting in scrap yard.

Over-sized wheels too .6.00 -16 and 14.9-24 on back.
Bought 3 or 4 oil filters!

mvphoto104673.jpg

mvphoto104674.jpg

For some reason, can only post two pics at a time.
This one when he arrived home. In background you see the old Cockshutt on the auger. Auger not lined up with bin, and hopper torn off by a black bear rooting for the oats. they love oats!

mvphoto104678.jpg

mvphoto104679.jpg

So nice to see another rescued from oblivion Richard. Well done !

Another danger lurks within the Ferguson , be extra careful if wearing shorts ; the standard uniform down here in Summer . The gear stick likes to burrow up one leg when hopping off and gives the unwary driver a short , fast trip , face down into the dirt ! Ask me how I know !!

LOL Charles!
I will watch for that as shorts are my uniform in summer here too.

Off to the same scrap yard this afternoon for bits hopefully for my Massey disk.
Lost some bits off it last back end and and need it real soon!
I will look at his other little grey Fergies, with an eye open for parts. levelling box on this one is off something else. Mind you, I have yet to get at getting this one running, but too much time into it to let it beat me now!

He Might even have one with an over-run clutch..:)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back