3rd and 4th gear shift not staying engaged

AllanK

New User
Hi, I am currently reviving a non-op to30 that sat for 10 years. Currently redoing the wiring back to factory. I pulled out the shifter lever and access panel, loosened up all the rails since they seemed to be stuck. Now 3rd and 4th gear go into their slots but don't stay in, it is super loose and sloppy. 1st and 2nd lock in when shifting into them. Shifting to start seems to work, i feel the spring resistance but reverse does not seem to stay in either, feels super loose and the rail easily moves back into neutral. This is all done without the tractor turned on. I did take out the springs right at the top, I don't really know what they do. Is the spring suppose to push down a pin to lock the rail to a gear? Thanks in advance.

Hi, I am currently reviving a non-op to30 that sat for 10 years. Currently redoing the wiring back to factory. I pulled out the shifter lever and access panel, loosened up all the rails since they seemed to be stuck. Now 3rd and 4th gear go into their slots but don't stay in, it is super loose and sloppy. 1st and 2nd lock in when shifting into them. Shifting to start seems to work, i feel the spring resistance but reverse does not seem to stay in either, feels super loose and the rail easily moves back into neutral. This is all done without the tractor turned on. I did take out the springs right at the top, I don't really know what they do. Is the spring suppose to push down a pin to lock the rail to a gear? Thanks in advance.
The springs push down on a detent plunger which engages grooves in the shift rail and so hold the transmission in gear. There is no groove/detent for 'start', the spring pressure you feel is the switch. It seems likely the plungers are stuck/rusty in their bores. I'd pull the top cover/shifter again, pull the springs, make sure the plungers are still there, lubricate with penetrating oil to see if you can get them functioning.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back