T0-20 hydraulics - won't stay down

booger1945

New User
Recently aquired a TO-20 (1952). Trying to pull 8-foot spring tooth cultivator, but requires constant down pressure on draft control quadrant. When I release the lever, the quandrant and the liftn arms both return to the raised position.
The upper link yoke is rust-frozen so can't adjust that, and dont really want to replace it if not necessary. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Booger1945

First it doesn’t have down pressure. When you push the lever forward the lift goes down and just floats. You can adjust depth with the draft control. By it dropping when you push the lever I’m wondering if maybe there isn’t a problem there. You can pull the side cover on the right under the seat and see what it’s doing. Go to YouTube and search to20 hydraulics. Many good videos there on your problem

Thank you both for your input. The control lever "feels" like there is a spring tension on it, trying to return it to the up position. However, with the engine/PTO off it stays wherever I place it. With the engine/PTO running, it wants to return to the up position. Requires one hand on it all the time to keep it down. Hard to operate the machine with ony my left hand on the steering.
It does this with or without anything attached to the 3-point hitch.
I have watched the Aussie guy on Youtube, several times. It makes me think that the draft control is misadjusted, but it is frozen so can't adjust. May have to just go for the new parts. Thanks again, Booger 1945

I'm sorry, but I spoke too soon - The control lever does return to the up position, even with engine off. I thot this was only happening with the pump running, but not so. Need to look at a diagram - there must be a spring that is pulling it back, but perhaps a counter-spring to hold its position. If so, the counter-spring may have failed. Comments are very welcome! thanks again

Make certain Friction Disk #C5NN518b is doing what it is supposed to do, that is keeping quadrant lever stationary unless you move it.

Hi booger1945, when you talk about the upper link yoke being frozen are you referring to what Ferguson calls the Master Control Spring? I'm not sure, but I think you will need to free that up so you can adjust it first. PB Blaster or a mixture of asitone and ATF and patience will be your friend. Then like you said maybe just replace the parts.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back