Steering seal under the steering wheel

old

Would any body happen to have the seal number?? I figure once I pull the seal out that I'll have nothing to go by other then what is left of the burnt part of the seal that is left from it catching fire

Do a search under ih 584 integral hydrostatic power steering valve seals. Messicks drawing 10-20. Looks like a number of o-rings in there as a kit.

Would any body happen to have the seal number?? I figure once I pull the seal out that I'll have nothing to go by other then what is left of the burnt part of the seal that is left from it catching fire
I think on that unit the seal you can see (23) is just a "dust lip", the oil seal is further inside and requires complete disassembly to replace.

wyfjzUZ.jpeg

CIH doesn't sell the seals individually, kit # is 1500443C91, for which there are lots of 'net sources.

Nk21G2z.jpeg

Reactions: bc
I think on that unit the seal you can see (23) is just a "dust lip", the oil seal is further inside and requires complete disassembly to replace.

wyfjzUZ.jpeg

CIH doesn't sell the seals individually, kit # is 1500443C91, for which there are lots of 'net sources.

Nk21G2z.jpeg
So your saying even if I pull the steering wheel off to replace the seal it is not likely to do much if anything in stopping the oil that leaks from under the steering wheel and soaks my pant leg

So your saying even if I pull the steering wheel off to replace the seal it is not likely to do much if anything in stopping the oil that leaks from under the steering wheel and soaks my pant leg
I'm not going to speak for anyone else, but since this tractor was in a fire anything could be possible once you got into it. More than likely though a new seal will fix it or at least slow the leak waaaaay down. Sure worth a try. It dried up the leak on any of the ones I have had to replace. Used to the little kit was $ 30 ish from a IH dealer for the upper seal.

I'm not going to speak for anyone else, but since this tractor was in a fire anything could be possible once you got into it. More than likely though a new seal will fix it or at least slow the leak waaaaay down. Sure worth a try. It dried up the leak on any of the ones I have had to replace. Used to the little kit was $ 30 ish from a IH dealer for the upper seal.
CR, I THINK his orbitrol steering valve (CharLynn) is different than the type you are familiar with (Ross) and, (as I wrote) the visible seal is for keeping dust and water OUT, but doesn't seal oil in.

IF, in fact, it is NOT a Ross, to replace the oil seal it's going to have to come apart.

CR, I THINK his orbitrol steering valve (CharLynn) is different than the type you are familiar with (Ross) and, (as I wrote) the visible seal is for keeping dust and water OUT, but doesn't seal oil in.

IF, in fact, it is NOT a Ross, to replace the oil seal it's going to have to come apart.
I wonder if that is covered in the I-T manual and how well it is if it has info on replacing the seals and hopefully I can do it with out taking a whole lot of it apart

WoreOut, can you tell if this orbital valve will take the seal kit 837253M91? My research says that kit should fit. Valve is out of a MF 245, but I can't find any numbers on it.

Orbital valve and fittings.jpg

It's in a FrankenHarris right now. steve

It very well could be a different hand pump. All the ones that I have been into were on 454, 464, 574, 674 etc. Looking up from underneath on the 684 it looks the same. I just assumed that near time period of models, it would be the same. I do know the X84 series is where changes started occurring from the buyout of IH to Tenneco and some things remained the same while other parts become specialized to that series. Grrrrr.

WoreOut, can you tell if this orbital valve will take the seal kit 837253M91? My research says that kit should fit. Valve is out of a MF 245, but I can't find any numbers on it.

View attachment 71489

It's in a FrankenHarris right now. steve
Sorry, I don't recognize that valve. Some folks have reported having good luck calling Midwest Steering for parts and advice.

seal kit

According to the seller this kit will fit BOTH old's tractor AND your MF part number. It looks identical to the one I used on my 245 several years ago when I replaced the upper portion seals of the valve. I didn't have to use all the parts but it stopped the leaking. Since old's has been burned he may have to go deeper. Sadly I could have bought 3 kits for what they want for this one today.

So where do I find that kit and does it have good instructions with it??
Rich, just use that part number and do a search. They have them on this site. I found prices from $90 down to less than $30. I'm going to pull the orbital valve out and apart, and compare what comes out of mine to what is showing in the kit, then I'll buy one. I ran into some instructions during my search, but I'll have to go back and dig those up again. steve

Rich, just use that part number and do a search. They have them on this site. I found prices from $90 down to less than $30. I'm going to pull the orbital valve out and apart, and compare what comes out of mine to what is showing in the kit, then I'll buy one. I ran into some instructions during my search, but I'll have to go back and dig those up again. steve
Guess I'll have to try and find what this site has tomorrow and hop I can find it. I'd hate to take it apart and then have to let it sit for days or weeks before I could use it again. I already have 2 new hyd cylinder on order for it and that cost a pretty penny

Guess I'll have to try and find what this site has tomorrow and hop I can find it. I'd hate to take it apart and then have to let it sit for days or weeks before I could use it again. I already have 2 new hyd cylinder on order for it and that cost a pretty penny
Give me a day or two and I'll have mine apart and we can compare notes. One question: How is your steering wheel attached? Splined shaft with a nut and washer? steve

seal kit

According to the seller this kit will fit BOTH old's tractor AND your MF part number. It looks identical to the one I used on my 245 several years ago when I replaced the upper portion seals of the valve. I didn't have to use all the parts but it stopped the leaking. Since old's has been burned he may have to go deeper. Sadly I could have bought 3 kits for what they want for this one today.
MF#1, when you did your seal replacement, did you unbolt the nose off the valve, or will the seal push out by rotating the shaft (I read that somewhere)? This assumes the dust seal and snap ring are removed, of course.

Give me a day or two and I'll have mine apart and we can compare notes. One question: How is your steering wheel attached? Splined shaft with a nut and washer? steve
Has a nut on top but not sure what is under it from there. This tractor got pretty hot due to being hit by lightning and catching fire

As I think back when I did my 2606, the top seal was a dust seal. It had to be unbolted to get at the orings inside and the one at the bottom was a booger to get at. Then it had to be put back together just right to work. Here are the numbers I found for the 606 & 2606. #2 Dust seal is 226032R1 and #5 Service package kit is 379782R92. I think the new number for the seal kit is A47038.

I just looked and I see a seal kit for the cylinder but not for the steering area where my leak is

I'm thinking you have already removed the few bolts and got a look inside to see what you exactly need. Then put it back together. With mine oil just gushed up out the top of the upper column around the steering wheel shaft. I thought there was a top seal till I took it apart and realized that it was just a dust seal on top and all the seals were inside the main body.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back