Saturday Norfolk Video

Very interesting. Lots of hand labor in those days. I suppose the lands are still farmed?
It was very hard work and the marshmen did not make old bones, as we say here. Yes, the land is still in full production and still sinking slowly. Big vegetable growers on most of it but now a lot wheat and rape as well.

It was very hard work and the marshmen did not make old bones, as we say here. Yes, the land is still in full production and still sinking slowly. Big vegetable growers on most of it but now a lot wheat and rape as well.
How close to sea level is the sinking land. Do they pump it to limit the production of a "lake"? Jim

How close to sea level is the sinking land. Do they pump it to limit the production of a "lake"? Jim
It is quite a lot below sea level, Jim, The rivers and drains are way above the land and water is always being pumped into the main channel. It is let out into the sea through the main sluice at Denver that was originally constructed by a Dutchman, tasked with draining the fens, van Muiden, (sp) in the time of Henry 8th. He was working for the then Duke of Bedford.

Bit restricted at the moment but will get some pictures next time I go, which is a regular occurrence for me as I work with Standens and Team every week. Have a whole load of repairs to do today for them.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back