RPM gauge on Massey ferguson to35

Hi, I would like to install an R

Hi, I have no RPM gauge in my 1959 Massey ferguson to35,just the hole it goes in. What all do I have to buy to install one. It has been changed over to an alternator
with 12 volts. What do I have to buy in order to get the gauge to work. And how do I hook it up in the front? thank you very much for your help.

The factory tachometer is mechanically driven, but I don't know from where. Typical would be off the distributor.

Tachometers and tachometer cables are widely available for your tractor. Just search google and pick your favorite tractor parts supplier.

For your Info..
Bob...
cvphoto80498.jpg

cvphoto80499.jpg

My to35 tach was driven off the generator. I say was because I converted it to 12V and changed to an alternator. So now, the tach doesn't work. There might be a way but I don't know how to drive one that has been changed to an alternator. I'm anxious to see the replies to see if it can be done.

There are a couple of ways to go about it.

You can add a tach drive to the alternator. It takes some machine work, the alternator has to come apart and be modified.

Or buy an alternator with the drive already on it.

But not so easy as it seems. The alternator will have a smaller pulley than the generator, so the tach will read high. You can put a larger pulley on the alternator, but it may have trouble initiating a charge even at full governed RPM. And then the tach cable you buy for the tractor will be a couple inches too short.

If you just want a tach, not a real tractormeter, you can adapt an electric tach, drive it from the coil primary, or from the alternator like diesels are set up. If you drive it from the coil signal, be sure to get a low RPM tach. Most automotive tachs are way off the scale to work on a slow turning tractor engine. Also consider most automotive tachs are not weather resistant, look into marine gauges.

Many years ago I bought one like that. I got a J.C. Whitney electronic one.(are they still around?) It fit the empty hole perfectly. Not hard to install, even for a numb skull like me. It is rpm only, no hours. TDF

If your to35 gas you can buy a digital tach that wraps a pick up around one spark plug wire. Ebay and Amazon. Buy a tack that you can replace the battery. I have digital tack to set the RPMs on a kawasaki mule and portable generator. RPM's at an idle is critical for mule and critical for generator.
geo

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back