Rain X wipers

I bought a set of rain x wiper blades for my truck off Amazon. They do not wipe clean. There is a light film left on the window that makes it hard to see. I have to use the defrost to clear this film.

Did I get a bad set or are these blades not all they are advertised to be.

Odd that both blades do this same thing.

Disclaimer: it has not rained since I got them. Im only going off using the wiper washer to clear bugs and dust off window.

(quoted from post at 12:23:41 08/28/23) I bought a set of rain x wiper blades for my truck off Amazon. They do not wipe clean. There is a light film left on the window that makes it hard to see. I have to use the defrost to clear this film.

Did I get a bad set or are these blades not all they are advertised to be.

Odd that both blades do this same thing.

Disclaimer: it has not rained since I got them. Im only going off using the wiper washer to clear bugs and dust off window.

Sounds like you need to clean the windshield with some good glass cleaner, inside and out first.

Just a guess, the are probably treated with that Rain-x product people treat their windshields with to repel water. If not applied properly it makes driving worse.

I use Michelin. They don't overthink wiper blades.

Gerrit

Never tried their wipers but we use the washer fluid. The water beads up and vision is better during a rain but my only complaint is when the glass dries it leaves dust spots behind.

I saw something once about car wax on the windshield from auto carwash on windshields. Don't know if you are exposed to that.

Years ago I used Rain-X wiped onto the windshield I quit ecause of that "fog" that it left behind.

I had a similar problem with Motorcraft blades that were dealer installed as part of an oil change. I took some glass cleaner, Windex, on a paper towel and thoroughly wiped both edges of both blades. They are going on their third year now. When they start to skip or streak I just clean them the same way, works for me.

Ive tried most of the major brands such as Bosch, Michelin, the cheaper ones but the last set of Rain X performed better than others, no problems. This was ONLY my experience Im sure others had different experiences with the many different brands in different vehicles...

John T

My wife insisted on rainex the last time I changed hers. They worked fine. The only problem was the dent in my wallet.
Ron

I hate cleaning windsheilds.

The exterior of your windshield probably has something on it - the spray on wax from a car wash is a likely culprit, another is you got oil or some other chemical that was on highway that splashed up on it or even diesel mist from an exhaust. The outside of you windsheild needs cleaned with a good cleaner and I would clean the blades too.

The inside of the windshield is a huge PIA to get clean. I usually go over it 3 or 4 times with a cleaner then end up dry wiping it with a good tea cloth when its lightly fogged to get all the smears off of it. Seems to take a week before it is finally clean and clear.

The last set of wiper blades I put on my wife's Lincoln MKX had a protective strip on the edge that had to be removed. I didn't realize that until I thought they were doing a crummy job.

Can't remember if they're Rain X.

Have not yet read many of the posts. Several years ago I bought a set that might have been RainX and they went to the junk because of that very problem. That is why I will not buy any that advertise like those Rain X do. I buy the cheapest blades and just as good as the socalled better brands.

You need to clean your windshield well to start. They are not made to really clean a filthy windshileld although they sometimes work for that if the dirt is not too heavy or stuck. They are made to wipe water off.

(quoted from post at 05:04:30 08/28/23)

Years ago I used Rain-X wiped onto the windshield I quit because of that "fog" that it left behind.
t always does that when you apply it. You have to wipe it again after it dries. It will buff out clear pretty easily. The fog can persist, and the best way to get rid of it then is to apply a little more.

I find it makes it easier to scrape ice and clean bugs off the glass. When it is applied correctly, you only need the wipers below 35-40 and in light rain. It is at its best when the rain is heavier. At highway speeds in moderate to heavy rain you can see much better with the wipers off than with them on without rain x. When a downpour has the rest of the traffic slowing way down because they can't see, I can see well enough to worry more about hydroplaning than visibility. You have a choice between poor visibility and speed. Either one can kill you but speed is easier to control.

It is bad when there is a very light rain or mist at night, especially under street lights or oncoming headlights. The little beads of water are too small to blow off and they light up something fierce under the wrong lighting conditions. My wife won't have anything to do with it because she doesn't do a lot of highway driving. Around town under street lights in light rain it can be a nuisance. I can deal with that, she can't stand it.

(quoted from post at 06:51:51 08/28/23) I hate cleaning windsheilds.

The exterior of your windshield probably has something on it - the spray on wax from a car wash is a likely culprit, another is you got oil or some other chemical that was on highway that splashed up on it or even diesel mist from an exhaust. The outside of you windsheild needs cleaned with a good cleaner and I would clean the blades too.

The inside of the windshield is a huge PIA to get clean. I usually go over it 3 or 4 times with a cleaner then end up dry wiping it with a good tea cloth when its lightly fogged to get all the smears off of it. Seems to take a week before it is finally clean and clear.

John is a truck driver. Truck drivers know how to clean windshields. The most important thing is don't try to do it with a spray bottle and paper towels. Do it how the pros do it.

I prefer them and they wipe differently. I use the glass cleaner in a white spray (foam when applied) tall can with a turquoise plastic cap. Best glass cleaner I ever used and I use it on everything even non-glass items.

I was going to say use Rain-X washer fluid along with the blades. I see someone below does not like it. I use it all vehicles.

I began using rain-x glass treatment in the late 80's It works great but need to be reapplied on a regular basis. You HAVE to have the glass CLEAN in order for it to work.

I switched to Rain-X washer fluid about 10 years ago. It is NOT a replacement for clean glass. The back glass on wife Subaru Outback gets dirty more than the windshield glass. Point is the Rain-X does not work well on the back glass when it is dirty.

It works for me, but CLEAN is important no matter what kind of wipers you use.

Glass gets dirty from using vehical and if when it does and I cannot turn the washers on with normal fluid and get the windshield clean I don't want it. that goes for all Rain X products. If I have to clean the windshield when I am out on the road after getting sprayed from other vehicals to me it is junk and from all this talk about cleaning dirty windshields before you can use the wipers is a VERY big turn off to never have them. If I cannot just put new blades on and go no way will I have them.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back