Post editing

Why not let the poster make that decision rather than dictate?

Personally I use the edit function to update "old," posts a lot and if forced to "reply" instead of edit I will simply resort to cut and paste of the "old" content into the new message slong with my edit. Thats more work for me, more old posts popping to the top, and more bandwidth snd storage for the server.

Dan

Sure the poster can make that decision, makes no difference to me.

I was simply saying an edit would not likely be seen in an old post that stays where it was originally posted.

There are no notifications for edits but there are for new posts which come to the top which would highly contribute to the chances of the corrections/updates being seen.

An edit in an old post for a correction or update quite possibly will never be seen. A new post with corrections/updates in it quoting or referencing the old post would highly increase the chances of it/them being seen IMO.

I really believe a short edit time limit would be best.
Just to explain why I make edits that won't be seen... On a software forum just like tractor forum, the vast majority of people ask a search engine a question and the forum answer pops back as a result. With the tractor, I might ask "How many quarts of oil does an AC G-149 engine hold". I get back a YT Page and the person browses in. If I answered that question in the past with roughly 5 quarts but measured it out later, I would improve my answer for the next person that asks the question. I'd edit and put 4.4 quarts (just making up something here).

I run into this with software because no matter how old the thread is, I get notifications telling me someone found my post and liked it or something like that. In other words, it tells me my post was of value to someone. I usually go back and check the validity of what I said as updated by my current knowledge. At that point, I may edit what I said.

Just to explain why I make edits that won't be seen... On a software forum just like tractor forum, the vast majority of people ask a search engine a question and the forum answer pops back as a result. With the tractor, I might ask "How many quarts of oil does an AC G-149 engine hold". I get back a YT Page and the person browses in. If I answered that question in the past with roughly 5 quarts but measured it out later, I would improve my answer for the next person that asks the question. I'd edit and put 4.4 quarts (just making up something here).

I run into this with software because no matter how old the thread is, I get notifications telling me someone found my post and liked it or something like that. In other words, it tells me my post was of value to someone. I usually go back and check the validity of what I said as updated by my current knowledge. At that point, I may edit what I said.
Chris
If I go to a search engine and ask how much oil does a AC G-149 hold.
Would the search only bring up the post by Chris that says 5 quarts.
Or would the search bring up the entire thread where I could also see a reply under the post where Chris said 5 quarts to read...
I went and accurately measured the oil and while the manual says 5 quarts and that is what I based my last answer on My AC G-149 took 4.4 quarts.

Chris
If I go to a search engine and ask how much oil does a AC G-149 hold.
Would the search only bring up the post by Chris that says 5 quarts.
Or would the search bring up the entire thread where I could also see a reply under the post where Chris said 5 quarts to read...
I went and accurately measured the oil and while the manual says 5 quarts and that is what I based my last answer on My AC G-149 took 4.4 quarts.
Search engines return a link to the entire thread, not single posts within a thread.

Thanks Kim but I knew the correct answer all along.
I was just trying to show Chris that his claim we need post editing to correct an answer given in a post is mute.
A simple reply to your original post would work the same as far as a search was concerned.
I agree it's not a necessary function at all. Even having an edit is not particularly important, we lived without it for several years until I rewrote the old modern view edit. You cite the reason it's not important, a reply is just as good. I was just saying how I use long term post editing efficiently. I don't really have any strong opinion on how it should be either way for YT, and thankfully, it's not something I will be making a decision on.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back