Please help ID John Deere walking plow

MegAK

New User
Hello,
I have a John Deere single way plow that I would like to get back into working order and I'm wondering if anyone might have any information on it. Up by the hitch it is marked "A144" and under that "LB". On the beam there appear to be the letters D J (in the order). If you flip it over, on the underside of the moldboard it says "CX42-A, Deere, D". Then on the inside of the landside(not sure if that is the correct term) the numbers 1402, think. They are a bit hard to make out. The wheel says "Peoria Mill Cast". It also has some numbers. This plow was used in the pioneer days of Alaska's history up in the Matanuska Valley. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• plowsideview.jpg
    plowsideview.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 45
  • a144.jpg
    a144.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
  • jd.jpg
    jd.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
  • cx42a.jpg
    cx42a.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 1402.jpg
    1402.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 38
  • wheelplow.jpg
    wheelplow.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
I'm afraid I can't help a lot. The clevis number A144 was used on steel beam plows 13", 14", 15" and 16" and there are lots of variations. The beam narrows it down to about 2 dozen models; X3D, GP11D, GP13D, GP15D, CB140D,CB130D,CB140,MB12,B101D,B108D,B105D,B112D,B113D,13NPSD,14NPSD,120PSD,130PSD,140PSD,MB112,114,MB22,B22D,24D,MB312,MB122,AND MB124. I think you can eliminate all but the ones with 13, 14, 15, or 16 in the number. The landside number 140R (could the 2 be an R?) was used on B106D, GP15D, AND CB140. I don't find a #1402 for a landside. The CX42A sounds like a good number but I can't find a listing yet. I'm pretty sure the gauge wheel is an after market add on. I'll keep looking.

After looking deeper I belive you have a model OPS14D plow it is a 14inch right hand plow with Beam DJ, Share CX42, Landside 140RSB, Moldboard OPS14D, frog B5D and clevis right and left numbers A144 & A143. from my experience, handles never look like they will fit nor be at the right angle, but usually it works out. better to have a picture or another plow to compare to if possible. think it is pretty old, had to go back to 1920 plow works catalog to find most of this, oh, and numbers on the parts are not always what the catalog calls for. Hope this helps.

Wow, thank you so much Bob. That's very good to know. I am hoping to get this plow into sort of decent shape so I can use it after break up. The person that I bought this plow from said that it was given to his father in partial payment for delivering a baby. Another quick question where do you find your plow parts catalogs? Ebay? Thanks again.

Wow, thank you so much Bob. That's very good to know. I am hoping to get this plow into sort of decent shape so I can use it after break up. The person that I bought this plow from said that it was given to his father in partial payment for delivering a baby. Another quick question where do you find your plow parts catalogs? Ebay? Thanks again.
I have been collecting plow catalogs for years and find them mostly at tractor shows/swap meets. The last big John Deere plow atalog was Plow Works catalog R 1942. These are frequently available and had tons of info for anyone who cares to spend the rime figuring out the tables. eBay has them now and then.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back