Pitting repair.

molinegb

Have some rust pitting on rear rims and on platform. What is best method to fill. Been trying poly primer.

Attachments

• 000_1729.JPG
    000_1729.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 000_1730.JPG
    000_1730.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 41
A high fill, heavy type primer can work. The surface should be thoroughly cleaned, - maybe sandblasted, and coated with a self-etching primer and coated with an epoxy primer and sanded to smooth. Then sealed and coated with the topcoat. As the old saying goes, preparation is key. Follow specific instructions for the product you are using.

A high fill, heavy type primer can work. The surface should be thoroughly cleaned, - maybe sandblasted, and coated with a self-etching primer and coated with an epoxy primer and sanded to smooth. Then sealed and coated with the topcoat. As the old saying goes, preparation is key. Follow specific instructions for the product you are using.
Like a 4-1 Evercoat ?

i had rear fender that was badly pitted on one side, sanded all the paint off then used body filler. then sanded and repeated a few times. primer and painted and still looks good. its has 9 years on the restoration.

I've used bondo after being sure I've gotten the rust off. On show/parade tractors I cut those blackish commercial carpet (real short knap) samples they sell for a dollar in stores to fit the platform. Seems a waste to do all that work and then just scratch it off with dirty shoes. Looks good too.

As Mike posted you need to first kill the rust. media blast followed by phosphoric acid. If you don't, you will be leaving tiny bits of rust behind which will be coming out at you in a couple years. Follow the acid with aggressive water rinse, followed by alcohol to speed the drying. Then epoxy primer, followed by something like featherfill filler by Evercoat. You don't need the extra strength and extra work of fiber fill. It appears to be too big a job thus too many layers to use high build primer, and JB Weld would be strong after a couple months of sanding.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back