oliver super 55 vs a ford 8n

I am thinking that a super 55 is a better tractor than a ford 8n............my neighbor is not convinced;;;;;anyone agree with me......why......

I have both. No competition... the S55 is far better. The Oliver has more gear selection (the N has only 4 forward gears, and 1 reverse), live pto and hydraulics, more pulling power with lower gearing, more horsepower. The N can have more gear options if equipped with a Sherman tranny, but that also changes the pto speeds undesirably. The reverse gear on the N is pretty quick... sometimes too quick.

Whether its an 8N or 800 series, do either of them have a helical transmission like a Super 55?

Like someone said on here before, the super 55 is what the N wants to be when it grows up. My Dad went from a 9N to the super 55 diesel 57 years ago because the 600 and 800 Fords didn't have live shaft or 3 point at that time. I still have the 55.

And even look the same size when standing right beside them. They share the same steering arms and radius rods, so are basically the same size.

The 6XX - 8XX Fords were all avaible with power shaft as the NAA was when the S55 was brought out, You just had to specifie you wanted the 5 speed on the 6 & 8XX and the live shaft and ALL fords had the 3 point. The only reason the Fords did not have the live shaft at that time was because the purchaser did not want to spend the money, it was optional as against I think standard with the S55

Actually the S55 compairs to the 660-661 and not the 8XX series. Oliver at that time did not build a tractor to compair to the 8XX Ford, you would have had to go up to the S77 power plant for that and not the S66 power plant.

he is about my age I think......65 maybe....he runs an 8n and an allis/chalmers I-600 (a large tractor)....I still like our s 55 better than his 8n as I have used his a couple tmes...

Hmm let's see
55- independent, pto live hydraulics, power steering, and 40hp 3pt hitch
VS
8N 25hp 3pt hitch and that's about it without live pto it stinks to mow with and I've seen an 8n strugle with a 5th box scraper . The good thing about the N series is cheap parts

I meant the 3 point wasn't live on the Fords. The 5 speed wasn't handy to operate with the up and down shift pattern. The 55 had a better road speed than the 5 speed Fords also.The 800 Ford had more power then a 55 but the Fords back then never had independent shaft.

My grandpa used to tell me that in our area the 8n replaced the team of horses but if you had a good team that the 8n didn't replace squat.

8N, 2N, 9N ford was never concidered a tractor, It was more of a sick tom cat trying to scratch dirt.

For a little tractor that everyone likes to bash FORD sure made a lot of them and it seems like anyone you ask will tell you that evryone they know had one on the farm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back