Old Thread Peculiarity

When an old thread is revived with new posts, and it is one that I've not read, when I click on the title it will go to the first post in that thread, which is what I want. However, after reading page one when I click on page two or next it reloads page one again.

If I click on the last page where the new post(s) is/are it goes there fine.

So, my question is: How do I see the pages between page one and the last page?

That might be a bug with the threaded view slopping over to the normal forum operation. I'll have to recreate it. I'm no longer running the threaded view (as I know you aren't) so I should be able to find it.
I have had that happen and I changed over to the threaded view if I remember right and could go down through the whole thread. Shades of the old forums!;)

@cpratt
I have seen it happen many times.
All of page #1 posts are labeled as post #1
And the new posts are labeled with the correct post count.
I counted the gross post count listed before opening the thread and the gross post count matches.
If it is a three pager, there are no posts on page two.

As previously discussed:

What you guys describe sounds very much like the problems with threaded view. I'm afraid Jim's comment is correct. Shades of the old forums. Tampering with other people's software comes with a stiff price tag... always. We are looking at other problems with Threaded View already and debating what to do about them. There are some that are not evident casually and so far, I have no solutions other than cutting over to the stock version without my changes. There will be more on this later I'm sure. Problem is that there are 40 people totally dependent on the "Filter first message" which only works because of the threaded view (I made the mistake of including that simple change into the more complex Threaded View addon). If I could cut that out so it stays, we could get rid of the rest of threaded view since it didn't do what people wanted anyway. That would clean up the issues we have now. I've learned my lesson. Separating the "Filter first message" is not a simple task and I'm already too busy with the other old site applications.

(First line) I can totally understand that Tampering with other people's
(Quote this goes on line 3) But the way I understand it "filter first" allows
(Quote this goes on line 6) the discussion in order. This makes it a whole
(Quote this goes on line 4) me to not see old post that get dredged up.
(Quote this goes on line 2) software comes with a stiff price tag.
(Quote this goes on line 7) lot easier to read.
(Quote this goes on line 5) On the other hand "threaded view" puts

If you had problems reading this maybe you can now understand why we asked for threaded view in the first place.
I suggest you do what you need to do to make the forum work best and let the chips fall where they may.

Well, just tested it. It doesn't even have to be an old thread, any user with Threaded View unchecked must see the same thing. You press Page 2 or Next and you get page one. I don't have time for this but something has to be done. I will check our dev system tomorrow which doesn't have the threaded view addon installed, and I'll be able to determine if something else is causing it. I doubt it though, that #1 that shows up on every post sort of tells the story I think.

@cpratt
It does not happen in a forum that has not been adulterated.
Here is a thread on xenForo platform started in 2010.
Currently active with nearly 7000 posts and 277 pages.

@cpratt
It does not happen in a forum that has not been adulterated.
Here is a thread on xenForo platform started in 2010.
Currently active with nearly 7000 posts and 277 pages.
@DoubleO7 Yep, I know it has to be threaded view changes since they impact that thread number (the #1). I was going to check out just why when I had time. I designed it not to have any impact when Threaded View was not checked on, but it clearly is.

Good catch but it did happen to me on a new thread. (Edit, turns out the thread started prior to the cutover even though it was responded to later) Kim had suggested yesterday that it was the records imported in and your tests kind of confirm that. Just have to figure out why my test didn't.

Last edited:
I'm not getting it on new threads. @DoubleO7 and @Brown David it is just old threads as you both pointed out. That means it's not actually the Threaded View causing it directly (I searched hard on that one), but the fact that old threads weren't initialized to handle the threaded view ability to have replies interwoven. So if an old thread is revived that was started prior to the cutover, then if new posts come in that are threaded in (i.e., the reply button selected on a post other than the top post), the pointers to the replied-to post get messed up. I'm still not sure why that is, but it doesn't seem to be a current issue. If it is what I expect, it wouldn't be possible to correct it for old threads.

If you guys have seen this happen on some thread started after Dec 28 2023, let me know. The recent ones I've looked at are fine. It also may not happen on all old threads just because of how the person who drug it up replied.

Just a side note: This spurred me to figure out something wrong with Threaded View that was not going to allow updates to the basic software. We managed to figure that out this morning when I started looking for this, and it means Threaded View is safe for a good long time (at least a few months). So this thread had more significant value than just this issue.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back