Oil leak at tractor Split On TO35

Are you saying that oil is leaking from the clutch housing? If that is the case, you do NOT want to seal the oil in there where it will get on the clutch and cause more problems.

I have an oil leak at the tractor split. I don't want to split it again to replace the gasket. does anyone know of anything that I can use externally on the split like an epoxy or liquid steel to seal this leak?
...OIL LEAK at the Tractor SPLIT LINE.......?
SPLIT LINE, as the point where the Transmission / bell housing is attached to Engine block....?

Location of OIL LEAK...at bottom 6 O'clock...????
We need a lot more information....
ENGINE OIL.?
Is oil from the common sump, the Transmission,Differential...?
Color of OIL..?
Is engine oil level dropping..?
Is oil level from the common sump, the Transmission,Differential dropping...?
If the Transmission has an Inspection plate at the bottom of the Bell housing,(6 o'clock) remove inspection plate and verify presence of OIL.?
Bob....Owner of a MF 35

Attachments

• DSCN0113.JPG
    DSCN0113.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The leak is not coming from the bell housing it is coming from the split in back of the gear shifter and forward of the seat that is the split. The leak is at 6 o'clock, but could be running down from somewhere else. The leak is most noticeable is when the tractor is running.

...OIL LEAK at the Tractor SPLIT LINE.......?
SPLIT LINE, as the point where the Transmission / bell housing is attached to Engine block....?

Location of OIL LEAK...at bottom 6 O'clock...????
We need a lot more information....
ENGINE OIL.?
Is oil from the common sump, the Transmission,Differential...?
Color of OIL..?
Is engine oil level dropping..?
Is oil level from the common sump, the Transmission,Differential dropping...?
If the Transmission has an Inspection plate at the bottom of the Bell housing,(6 o'clock) remove inspection plate and verify presence of OIL.?
Bob....Owner of a MF 35

The leak is not coming from the bell housing it is coming from the split in back of the gear shifter and forward of the seat that is the split. The leak is at 6 o'clock, but could be running down from somewhere else. The leak is most noticeable is when the tractor is running.
So, your leak is the joint between the transmission and differential cases, not what is the more common split between the engine and transmission case for clutch repairs? Many points can be "split" on a tractor, a clear description of location helps, we can't see it.

I do not see a coated-on sealant holding for long. My thought for that location is it needs to be split, the surfaces cleaned, and a new gasket installed. Fasteners may have loosened, to allow leaking. Did you have the tractor split at this joint before and reused the old gasket?

The point at which these two components attach,"Differential Housing" and "Transmission Housing", is this the point that you believe the oil leak is originating from????

Attachments

• DSCN0022.JPG
    DSCN0022.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0062.JPG
    DSCN0062.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
The split is between the transmission and the differential.
I fabricated as per picture,(Jack attached to Differential ).......
Then after cleaning all matting surfaces with starting fluid.....
Made a test run(NO adhesive added to gasket area) at attaching the two matting surfaces.....
I had four LINE-UP pins installed so as the two components had to be smack on ..
Separated the two components,applied adhesive as per instructions.....
I used "Permatex 80062 High Tack Gasket Sealant"
Assembled the two components and installed all hardware....Bolts....
I am sure it shall never leak!!!

Attachments

• DSCN9995.JPG
    DSCN9995.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCN9996.JPG
    DSCN9996.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • DSCN9764.JPG
    DSCN9764.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I hope nobody minds me jumping in here: My TO35 is split at the trans/engine break. The secondary PTO clutch seemed as if it would no longer adjust.. grinding noises, adjusted per manual. When I took it apart last week before ordering clutch kit (pressure plate, bearings, clutch disc etc) I noticed side to side play in the tansmission main drive gear (clutch shaft) Fig. MF352 paragraph 179 IT shop service manual. That is, I noticed that the shaft furthest towards front of machine had side to side play, measured to be between 1/16 and 5/64. To my not experienced eyes, I thought the primary clutch disc in pretty good shape. I haven't taken the assembly apart to examine the PTO cluch. Also, I noticed considerable wear on the three release levels. Also, the throw out bearing certainly does need replacement. Those two last items are likely related but my question: how much play is acceptable, how much is going to lead to a quick disaster, in the shaft described above, which much as I can tell from manual's exploded view MF357 item#52, is the PTO front maindrive shaft, but very surely the shaft that the pilot bearing supports? And of course: has my tractor gotten to the point where the issue isn't the clutches but far worse: "transmission shaft bearings are non-adjustable". (caption to fig. MF351)... suggestions very much welcome... thanks joek

Last edited:
I hope nobody minds me jumping in here: My TO35 is split at the trans/engine break. The secondary PTO clutch seemed as if it would no longer adjust.. grinding noises, adjusted per manual. When I took it apart last week before ordering clutch kit (pressure plate, bearings, clutch disc etc) I noticed side to side play in the tansmission main drive gear (clutch shaft) Fig. MF352 paragraph 179 IT shop service manual. That is, I noticed that the shaft furthest towards from on machine had side to side play. To my not experienced eyes, I thought the primary clutch disc in pretty good shape. I haven't taken the assembly apart to examine the PTO cluch. Also, I noticed considerable wear on the three release levels. Also, the throw out bearing certainly does need replacement. Those two last items are likely related but my question: how much play is acceptable, how much is going to lead to a quick disaster, in the shaft described above, which much as I can tell from manual's exploded view MF357 item#52, PTO front maindrive shaft? And of course: has my tractor gotten to the point where the issue isn't the clutches but far worse: "transmission shaft bearings are non-adjustable". (caption to fig. MF351)... suggestions very much welcome... thanks joek
Welcome to the forums.

To avoid confusion, it is always best to start your own thread, rather than mixing your issue in with someone else's. Answers can get mixed up between the issues of the original poster and your post and lead things off track for everyone. You should be able to use edit and cut your post out of here and paste it into a new post (use the red Post Thread button at the upper right to open the form to start your own thread for your issue.

I am new at posting SO BARE WITH ME, having said that, all I want to know is there any sealant that can be applied externally to the split between the transmission and the differential to help stop oil from leaking? I have no means to split the tractor. I just want to stop the leak for now and not worry about removing the stuff that stopped the leak.

Welcome to the forums.

To avoid confusion, it is always best to start your own thread, rather than mixing your issue in with someone else's. Answers can get mixed up between the issues of the original poster and your post and lead things off track for everyone. You should be able to use edit and cut your post out of here and paste it into a new post (use the red Post Thread button at the upper right to open the form to start your own thread for your issue.
thank you will do... appreciate

I am new at posting SO BARE WITH ME, having said that, all I want to know is there any sealant that can be applied externally to the split between the transmission and the differential to help stop oil from leaking? I have no means to split the tractor. I just want to stop the leak for now and not worry about removing the stuff that stopped the leak.
No problem with your posting. My reply was to joekubota about it being best if he starts his own thread.

Permatex, and maybe some others, made a spray on sealer to use externally on some leaks. You would need to search Permatex products if you want to try that. I believe 82099 is the Permatex part number and may or may not be available.

Having said that said I think the feeling here is such is not the lasting solution to your issue. Have you checked to see that all the bolts/capscrews that hold that joint together are tight? Any movement in that joint will defeat any sealer in time. The correct fix is split, clean and reseal properly.

It is your tractor you can try anything you wish.

Have you checked the bolts to make sure they are all tight?

I have an oil leak at the tractor split. I don't want to split it again to replace the gasket. does anyone know of anything that I can use externally on the split like an epoxy or liquid steel to seal this leak?
If you KNOW for sure the leak is between the Transmission and the Differential......
Pay attention to the pics I sent you...Yesterday at 5:40 PM....& Today at 6:32 AM
It's your $$$$$$'s your Tractor.....
I'm not aware of any external ointment / goop you can apply to stop the leak....

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back