Oil coming out of dipstick tube, oil fill tube smoking

eldycan

New User
I can't remember the year it's either a 48 or 49 8n. 12v conversion.

Using a finishing mower in 1st or 2nd gear at about 2/3rds throttle it will begin smoking from the oil fill hole after about 10 minutes. A good amount will come out.

If I keep running it after about 20-30 minutes total oil will start coming out of the dipstick tube.

Oil is at the full mark on the dipstick

The radiator has fluid

Compression is higher on the first piston only.

If you're not familiar with it, MM is Marvel Mystery Oil.
The cap that you pull off to add oil to the engine should be allowing crank case pressure to escape. It might be plugged up.

Reactions: lha
If you're not familiar with it, MM is Marvel Mystery Oil.
The cap that you pull off to add oil to the engine should be allowing crank case pressure to escape. It might be plugged up.
ATF has a similar makeup to MM oil and I add it to my gas ,about 1/2 oz per gallon.

I named my ‘51 8N “Smokey” after I got it running.That thing starts emitting smoke out the breather within 20 seconds. I poured a whole bottle of MMM in the oil after valve job but Smokey’s rings are so shot that you can turn the engine over just by tugging on the fan blades. I could rock the pistons while I had the head off. Of course he runs and starts just fine,no oil fouled plugs, weak power. I hope to get the engine out and rebuilt in a month or two. Smokey was not treated well by someone or more than one someone in his past. Poor Smokey, poor little Smokey.😢

I can't remember the year it's either a 48 or 49 8n. 12v conversion.

Using a finishing mower in 1st or 2nd gear at about 2/3rds throttle it will begin smoking from the oil fill hole after about 10 minutes. A good amount will come out.

If I keep running it after about 20-30 minutes total oil will start coming out of the dipstick tube.

Oil is at the full mark on the dipstick

The radiator has fluid

Compression is higher on the first piston only.
Blow by caused by sticking rings or a worn engine can cause that. I'd put a quart of ATF I.E. transmission fluid into 3 gal of gas and run it on that and see if that helps any

Reactions: lha

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back