New Holland 638 round baler monitor?

Ganofam

New User
Looking at buying a used nh 638 baler in my area. I've only used an old small square baler (jd 214ws) until now and looking for something a little bigger. 4x4 round bales sound great to me with my smaller 47 hp tractor. This particular baler doesn't come with the monitor and local nh dealer said they can't get it anymore. Do I need it? Has electric twine tie so I imagine I have to have some sort of in cab control to engage the tie mechanism in the baler. Amybidy got any ideas for low cost solution to this?

A couple options come to mind. One talk to sloan equipment for a monitor. They might have a used or reworked one available or be able to tell you where you could get one. the other option would be to find the wires that tie the bale, and the ones tell when the bale is completed use a back up alarm and a toggle switch for the tying, the alarm is to tell you when the bale is full.

Cook Tractor website shows that they have one, no cost
listed however.

cvphoto155832.png

They didn't have a true monitor, just a full bale alert and the control for the twine arm.
I have a 630. I have had the entire box apart and know more about it than I'd care to. It's all basic 12 volt stuff.

A control box could be made with basic parts.

12volt power from tractor (two wires)
power switch (single throw)
dual throw double throw switch
two wires to baler

to add bale alarm make a circuit using 12volt feed from power switch, to a buzzer & light, full bale switch on baler, back to ground on tractor.

A 12volt electric winch hand held wired remote would get your twine arm working for $30-$40 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/QWORK-Control-Assembly-1500lbs-Electric/dp/B08WX1YM2Y/ref=d_pd_sbs_sccl_3_3/138-7807266-8523542?pd_rd_w=4SUqT&content-id=amzn1.sym.3676f086-9496-4fd7-8490-77cf7f43f846&pf_rd_p=3676f086-9496-4fd7-8490-77cf7f43f846&pf_rd_r=TDDWTJY683JVE3Z1X2CK&pd_rd_wg=EtX94&pd_rd_r=634b0e98-2776-476f-985b-46804183995e&pd_rd_i=B08WX1YM2Y&psc=1

This post was edited by 495man on 06/03/2023 at 10:53 am.

495man,
I am taking your advice and building my own
control box. What gauge wire would you
reccomend running? No idea what kind of
load the baler will need. Would like to
overbuild this with 10gauge wire but the
toggle switches probably won't take
anything bigger than 16gauge. Thoughts?

(quoted from post at 18:30:32 06/07/23) 495man,
I am taking your advice and building my own
control box. What gauge wire would you
reccomend running? No idea what kind of
load the baler will need. Would like to
overbuild this with 10gauge wire but the
toggle switches probably won't take
anything bigger than 16gauge. Thoughts?

I looked at my 630 wiring, looks like the main power cable is 10 gauge, wires to tie motor are 10 gauge and wires from control box to full bale switch on baler are 12 gauge.

The toggle switches are large metal toggles with screws that clamp the wire to them, the yellow 10-12 gauge fits should fit them.

There is also a two pole inline circuit breaker on the + battery wire. Not sure the amps, assume 15.

Wish I could! Bought it at auction. Last
ran 2 years ago I was told. The tractor
pulling it started on fire so that
explains why the monitor is missing I
guess.

I have a 638 NH Baler and Monitor, no issues this last year until now, I have the tractor in the shop for winter service and when I replaced the battery and hooked up the monitor the buzzer will sound whether the switch is in the on or off position. No wires in the box are damaged. Any suggestions?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back