More Icelandic Rust--Zetor World

RedMF40

Some pics from driving past several days. Up here in the northwest part of Iceland and some areas north-central. I like the big Scania bus turned into a camper. Looks similar in design to our Greyhounds.

For the yellow backhoe, seems like an awfully big piece of iron hanging off the back of that tractor. Or maybe backhoes are just huge and I never really noticed.

mvphoto29754.jpg

mvphoto29755.jpg

mvphoto29756.jpg

mvphoto29757.jpg

mvphoto29758.jpg

mvphoto29759.jpg

mvphoto29760.jpg

mvphoto29761.jpg

My Ford 655A TLB has "nose" and "chin" weights just to try to keep the front end down.

I'm always amazed at the waste in different places where they just park machinery. Here we are maintaining and using 50-60-70 year old tractors.

(quoted from post at 12:32:06 01/13/19) great pics.

do trees grow in some areas... or no?

SweetFeet, Iceland has a troubled history in almost all regards--including deforestation. Trees have disappeared from early times of settling, and also from terrible volcanic eruptions that devastated all aspects of life.

Now it is mostly groves of evergreens that are being planted to provide some new forests and maybe to use as wood. Not sure what the long-term plans for these trees are--but Iceland definitely needs trees!

For the comment about snow--should be completely snow-covered here with at least a few inches. Very mild winter with little snow. Today just turned cold, however.

This little patch of rust looked to be an unofficial salvage yard. There were a couple of big piles of leaf springs and axles and other scrap waiting to be hauled away. The nearest big ship port is not close by, however. But since everyone around this place is using Zetor tractors, the parts here are probably keeping them running.

I'm impressed all the Zetors are 2wd. Almost all of them are 4wd here, but I have seen a few 2wd ones.

I had a Zeteor, 2wd, probably 50 hp. I saw a program some time ago about the efforts to reforest Iceland. Pretty interesting. Lot of volcanic activity there in the past?

Great pictures thank you for sharing! We had a Zetor 4911 for
many years. Actually was a really good tractor.

SweetFeet and others: Iceland is a fascinating place from a geological standpoint--as well as a source of great natural beauty. A very good video by the History Channel talks about its origins. If interested in learning more, look for How the Earth Was Made--Iceland. actually, I'll just include a link, since it looks like the whole episode is on YouTube. No commercials ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeAj3Vzvpk0

(have to cut and paste as this version of the site doesn't allow me to include links)

Two large plates meet there, atop what's called a "Hot Spot." It's a place where extreme volcanic activity takes place due to the magma or molten rock pushing to the surface. You can stand and see where the two plates--the North American and the Eurasian, are actually drifting apart because there is a rift right there that you can walk across. It's pretty amazing. One side you're on the North American plate, other side is the Eurasian. There is a little foot bridge that spans to the two. Pretty neat.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back