MF35 Diesel Deluxe need help

Greystone

New User
Hello all!
Im new to this forum,
So I recently purchased a MF35 Diesel Deluxe that seems to be in pretty good shape with the exceptions of a few little gremlins. The previous owner had stated it was very hard to start and most times required a shot of ether.
I noticed that the ignition switch had been changed out and it no longer had the Ignition switch for the Heater start. After looking at how the Heater start is supposed to work and reading the manual, It appears that when you turn the key counter clockwise to the Heater Start position, it releases fuel into the intake manifold and the Coil ignites the fuel that provides the warm air when you turn the key on to the regular start position.
Is this correct????
Just kinda starting with the basics here so hopefully I can see this old thing run one day with everything corrected.
Any info would be greatly appreciated and Im thankful that I found a forum that covers these old tractors!

The intake Thermostart unit tractors use a different key switch than the gas tractors. Turning right engages the starter for WARM engine starting. The first left turn of
key is HEAT position, then after 15/20 seconds further turn left is HEAT/START position for cold engine starting.

Ok got that part. Does the coil in the intake manifold actually ignite the fuel coming in from the steel line to the side of the intake?
Also, when you start the engine on the heat start, do you just leave the key in that position once its started?

Key is spring loaded back to OFF position on BOTH cold and
warm starts. Thermostarts have two coils, first heats up red,
then second opens to let fuel in, fuel ignites on first coil.
Engine draws in warm air during HEAT/START key position.
After engine starts air flow past the assembly cools the coils,
stops fuel flow after key is back to OFF position.

Info as per MF 35 X Tractor......

Bleeding air from fuel system as per operators manual
cvphoto159521.jpg

cvphoto159522.jpg

cvphoto159523.jpg

cvphoto159524.jpg

Nice, thanks a ton for the help!! I will see how this works out. I have the correct ignition switch ordered along with some other items the tractor was missing (Tach,Amp Gauge etc... Come to find out It also had a leaking head gasket.
Still gotta lot of work to do on it so im sure I will be reaching out for more info and Thanks Again!

So I did receive the correct ignition switch with the warm start. Would a member be so kind as to send me the wiring diagram for how this new ignition switch with warm start is supposed to be wired up? All of the colors on the wiring have changed over the years from previous owners and im not sure what goes where. The old ignition switch was just a standard switch that showed ACC, Gen and Batt beside each terminal post. The new switch has letters so im not sure which terminal should go down to the coil at the manifold. As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back