Massey 165 question about engine sump

Hey all , long time lurker first time poster. Hopefully someone can help a fella out here , just 2 weeks ago I purchased a Massey 165 with the non multipower transmission and ad4-203 and loader for a crazy steal of a deal. Backstory was it's sat for the last 17 years and the widow wanted her son to use it but he wasn't into tractors and I caught wind that it was going up for grabs for $1300. So I quickly jumped on it knowing its condition and only having 2100 hrs on its working clock. So I loaded it on the trailer (never started it ) got it home drained the diesel and oils and installed a new battery and got it running so I could blow snow. Upon an hour of blowing the clutch for the PTO gave out and lost my 3 point hydraulics so I opened the inspection plate and chunks of the clutch had started coming out along with oil ( about half a quart of engine oil). So currently splitting the tractor , but my question is this , given the length of time of sitting I'm going to assume the rope seal has dried out and most likely the sump gasket. Can I drop the sump while I have it split for the clutch and rope seal or would I be better off waiting until I get the rope seal and clutch together and put trans to the motor or can this be done while it's apart. I already have the front end wedged above axle and clutch along with throwout and seals are on their way. Other than this little issue this thing never skipped a beat and was working pretty good in the tall heavy snow. I'll likely be also replacing the input shaft seal while it's split to avoid any mishaps for when it's back together lol. I'm an auto mechanic and have done alot of wrenching on my Hydro 100 so it's not new to me. Also have an online manual as well.

Thanks in advance guys

Last edited:
Hey all , long time lurker first time poster. Hopefully someone can help a fella out here , just 2 weeks ago I purchased a Massey 165 with the non multipower transmission and ad4-203 and loader for a crazy steal of a deal. Backstory was it's sat for the last 17 years and the widow wanted her son to use it but he wasn't into tractors and I caught wind that it was going up for grabs for $1300. So I quickly jumped on it knowing its condition and only having 2100 hrs on its working clock. So I loaded it on the trailer (never started it ) got it home drained the diesel and oils and installed a new battery and got it running so I could blow snow. Upon an hour of blowing the clutch for the PTO gave out and lost my 3 point hydraulics so I opened the inspection plate and chunks of the clutch had started coming out along with oil ( about half a quart of engine oil). So currently splitting the tractor , but my question is this , given the length of time of sitting I'm going to assume the rope seal has dried out and most likely the sump gasket. Can I drop the sump while I have it split for the clutch and rope seal or would I be better off waiting until I get the rope seal and clutch together and put trans to the motor or can this be done while it's apart. I already have the front end wedged above axle and clutch along with throwout and seals are on their way. Other than this little issue this thing never skipped a beat and was working pretty good in the tall heavy snow. I'll likely be also replacing the input shaft seal while it's split to avoid any mishaps for when it's back together lol. I'm an auto mechanic and have done alot of wrenching on my Hydro 100 so it's not new to me. Also have an online manual as well.

Thanks in advance guys
There is a drain hole in the clutch housing. It must be plugged for that much oil to accumulate. There should be a loose fitting cotter pin in the drain hole that will jiggle around and keep the hole open.

There is a drain hole in the clutch housing. It must be plugged for that much oil to accumulate. There should be a loose fitting cotter pin in the drain hole that will jiggle around and keep the hole open.
Turns out it was plugged with debris from the clutch disc now that it's open it'll be a matter of sealing everything up so there's no oil getting where oil shouldn't go. Ordered a rope seal and sump gasket just need to figure out if I can drop do the sump gasket with the tractor split or wait until I put it together. Been scouring my shop manual but it's pretty vague on repair in that nature , but does give the specs on torque and replace/repair on the oil pump assembly but that's not what I was looking for lol

Don't mess with the pan while the tractor is split. That won't work. Deal with the clutch, seal,gaskets, etc first. Roll it back together and see what you gained. Worry about the pan gasket later.

Turns out it was plugged with debris from the clutch disc now that it's open it'll be a matter of sealing everything up so there's no oil getting where oil shouldn't go. Ordered a rope seal and sump gasket just need to figure out if I can drop do the sump gasket with the tractor split or wait until I put it together. Been scouring my shop manual but it's pretty vague on repair in that nature , but does give the specs on torque and replace/repair on the oil pump assembly but that's not what I was looking for lol
Did you put a loose cotter pin in it?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back