Massey 1100 Steering Locked

Brad Francis

New User
I am trying to tow a massey 1100 that has been sitting in a field for about 7 years now. It needs an overhaul but I want to get it into my shop. Pretty much everything is frozen on the tractor including the steering wheel. Any ideas on how to free this up so I can try and tow the machine out of the field?

The steering shaft needle bearings are most likely very rusty, or dry and locking up. Lots of lube may help if it can soak in until it is torn apart. I move dead tractors with a forklift or three point A hitch made from MF 880 plow.

There is no mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the front end. A long pry bar between the front tire and the front axle.

I think your spindles are rusted. Disconnect the tie rods and see if the steering wheel moves. Jack up the front with tie rods loosened or disconnected and get that big bar an earlier post recommended and see if either wheel will turn. If you are lucky they will free up with lots of heat and grease. I had to remove mine and press them out. Joe

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back