Lincoln welder generator engine powerless

Forum,
I have an old Lincoln welder/generator with crank start. Not sure of the year. Are there any remedies to give the engine enough power to weld. When I attempt to weld it loses rpm and will not weld @ a low amperage setting. Might this be a carb issue?? Any and all thoughts welcome.

What engine does it have?? I have a Lincoln welder and it has a 2 cylinder Onan engine and it has been known to have carb/gov problems which can/will cause lack of power and RPMs

The old Lincoln welder/generator has a Wisconsin two cylinder engine. This welder is in northern Minnesota so I do not have a lot of info available on hand. When I get up north next I will go through the carb and engine throttle settings. I also have another Lincoln welder/generator with an Onan engine that runs quite well. Thanks for the reply. Any other hints are welcome.

One thing you can do/try is start it up and then try to move the carb linkage and see if the Gov fights you as it should do to keep the RPMs up

I am sure you are running you Lincoln but my old Weldanpower has a 16 hp Briggs on it, and the welding speed is set by a manual setting, not automatically.

Yes but as the load comes into play the Gov keeps the RPM set at the correct speed and if the Gov is not working as it should or if the carb has a problem RPM does not stay as it should

You may be correct about that Weldanpower. If this adds to that observation the two cylinders are in line, plugs on top. I will look a little closer when I get up north next. Also like you wrote there is no governor for speed control. What should I do to gain rpm under load besides a complete carb cleaning and throttle adjustment?

It seem to work fine as a Generator powering a small tool? I wonder if that Engine on a Welder is a little under-Powered?? Cleddy

This post was edited by cleddy on 12/16/2023 at 10:26 am.

It has to have a gov to regulate the speed for when you strike an arc which means it needs more power/rpm so the gov has to open up the throttle to give it more fuel to keep the RPMs up

You may set the desired speed manually. But the engine has to have a governor to maintain that same RPM when under load and no load.

You may have a weak throttle control spring. When you set the throttle to weld position the spring pulls on the gov controls to open up the throttle for welding and if the spring is weak the throttle doesn't open up like it need to do

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back