JD-400 Loader/Backhoe Hydraulic Hose

Day 2 with my new toy and I popped a hose. It's the one on the thumb. Can anyone tell be what the fitting style is (there are a bunch of different styles) circa 1970?

What should I expect to pay for a replacement?

Can I get one through this forum?

Does someone know the working pressure of the hydraulics?

My shop manual hasn't been delivered yet or I wouldn't be such a pest.

mvphoto95923.jpg

Take the hose off and take it to just about any tractor dealer. They will press new ends on with your old fittings. My guess is it will be
around $35 to make up a new hose.

Farmer he is saying they can look at your old ends and make you a new hose just like it. If you have NAPA they have hose machines and can make the hose or any good hydraulic shop cheaper than ordering and paying freight sand getting the wrong thing.

F656, If you have a real nice individual or business that makes hydraulic hoses they can cut off the crimped on collar and carefully cut the hose off the barb of your original fitting. Then using a new collar crimp your original fitting into the new hose. Due to the variations between brands of fittings and the crimp jaw sets and the fact that they are using a used fitting and greatest fact of all liability; many hose makers will not do this. Sometimes if a certain special fitting cannot be sourced immediately you can possibly have better luck talking them into doing this, but the majority will probably sign it off as no warranty and no liability. Really the most likely way this would happen is if an individual owned his own hose crimper and took the time and extra effort to do it themselves.

That looks like plain NPT on the one end, and a NPT
swivel on the other. The swivel is not needed, but
common on will fit hoses.

Implement dealer or auto parts store is you best bet to
get the right thing. Likely can also get one at your
favorite farm store.

Enlarged it looks like male NPT on both ends, connected to swivel adapters. I will guess it is 1/2" hose. You can likely get a pre-made hose at Tractor Supply or other farm store. A 36" pre-made 1 /2" hose is only about $ 20.

As mentioned most places will not put new ends on old hose, much less mix and match new and old hose fittings parts, due to liability.

Your thumb is most likely an aftermarket add on and will not be in the John Deere parts catalog for your 400, or the backhoe which I believe had its own parts catalog (you will need the backhoe model number to get the right parts catalog).

SJH, where are you buying hoses at? Replaced all the hoses on my hoe, Case 580b for under 800. The short one for my bucket, 3/4 x 36 cost me I think $38. Just got done with it a month ago.

Not pre-made. Took my old ones to Kathy's
truck parts & they matched and made them.
The hose wasn't costly. It was the
fittings. I don't have all the receipts,
wife pitched some. I know it was under 1000
for all of them. Did them all. Swing, boom,
dipper and bucket. Rebuilt 3 cyliners,
that was fun. Had never done it or seen it
done. Need to do one more, it weeps and I
know it will get worse. I've changed the
fluid too, it was watery. Now on to the
trans, can't move the range shifter far
enough to get in low. Hoping it's a worn
key, but not holding my breath. JM, stop by
sometime.

Consider yourself lucky that they will make hoses at that level of pricing, I don't think that is common, at least that kind of pricing is not in this area.

Your shop manual isn't going to tell you squat about a "thumb."

There was no such thing when your backhoe was built.

That thumb is some aftermarket or homemade add-on and either has a generic hose or a custom hose. Either way you will need to take it off to see what you have. You may luck out and it will have NPT ends on both ends and you can get it off the shelf at Tractor Supply, Rural King, or whatever big box "farm" store you have in your area.

Any hose you can get today will have more pressure capacity than this machine can make.

were those jic fitting or pipe. Makes a big difference. jic fitting are very high priced at least in my area.

(quoted from post at 20:02:02 08/16/22) were those jic fitting or pipe. Makes a big difference. jic fitting are very high priced at least in my area.

NPT(M) on one end and flare on the other.

mvphoto96040.jpg

(quoted from post at 09:21:39 08/17/22)
(quoted from post at 20:02:02 08/16/22) were those jic fitting or pipe. Makes a big difference. jic fitting are very high priced at least in my area.

mvphoto96040.jpg

Good to hear you go it fixed. Just for your reference in the future, that type flare fitting is referred to as JIC. The beginning letter and number tell the type of fitting and the 0808 at the end of the fitting part numbers mean it is a 1/2" size, of that type for 1/2" hose.

Good to hear you go it fixed. Just for your reference in the future, that type flare fitting is referred to as JIC. The beginning letter and number tell the type of fitting and the 0808 at the end of the fitting part numbers mean it is a 1/2" size, of that type for 1/2" hose.[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back