JD 2510 Gas Starting Issues

orthaj14

New User
I am having issues with our 2510 gas Starting. I press the starter switch and nothing happens. The amperage drops, the key on light dims, but nothing engages. When I jump it, it starts right up. It has a good battery. It is not very old and I recently tested it. The charging system seems to be working. Charges at 14.3 volts. The starter solenoid is fairly new. I have heard about neutral safety switches being the problem, but I don't think it would jump start if it was the switch. Any ideas?

Yes it will jump start that’s why they installed all the safety covers back 30 years ago now. The way I test is to bypass it at the switch with a jumper in the harness just a piece of 14 ga wire is sufficient switch is on the r.h side of the transmission not too far from the final. Start in this manner only from the seat there’s no reason to try from the ground

I am having issues with our 2510 gas Starting. I press the starter switch and nothing happens. The amperage drops, the key on light dims, but nothing engages. When I jump it, it starts right up. It has a good battery. It is not very old and I recently tested it. The charging system seems to be working. Charges at 14.3 volts. The starter solenoid is fairly new. I have heard about neutral safety switches being the problem, but I don't think it would jump start if it was the switch. Any ideas?
Jump start can mean a couple different things. Jump start can be using an additional battery, or other power source to provide additional power to the electrical system. Or jumpstart can be bypassing some or all of the electrical system that causes the starter to be energized and engage with a jumper wire or other tool, often at the solenoid terminals. To be clear how are you jumping it?

These tractor were noted for this problem. You have a high resistance in the starter energizing circuit. This can be a switch and or a connection at a switch anywhere between the battery and starter solenoid. To detect the voltage drop caused by resistance, you need a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) and read voltage on this circuit along the length of it to find the voltage drop and address it. Best and final fix for the 2510 starting issue is to add a starter rely which will close at very low power (Like you have now) from original wiring and when it does it will take good battery power from battery cable on starter and direct to starter solenoid. Basically it the correct / safe way to what you are doing now that you should not be doing, only now you will be setting in the seat and all your safety and key switch will still be working / maintained. Put a starter relay on it and don't get run over bypass starting it.

These tractor were noted for this problem. You have a high resistance in the starter energizing circuit. This can be a switch and or a connection at a switch anywhere between the battery and starter solenoid. To detect the voltage drop caused by resistance, you need a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) and read voltage on this circuit along the length of it to find the voltage drop and address it. Best and final fix for the 2510 starting issue is to add a starter rely which will close at very low power (Like you have now) from original wiring and when it does it will take good battery power from battery cable on starter and direct to starter solenoid. Basically it the correct / safe way to what you are doing now that you should not be doing, only now you will be setting in the seat and all your safety and key switch will still be working / maintained. Put a starter relay on it and don't get run over bypass starting it.
Both my 2510 gassers I used a small Bosch relay with pigtail connector harness that i hung off bolt above starter and wired it in No starting problem no more. Very clean simple and effective.

Jump start can mean a couple different things. Jump start can be using an additional battery, or other power source to provide additional power to the electrical system. Or jumpstart can be bypassing some or all of the electrical system that causes the starter to be energized and engage with a jumper wire or other tool, often at the solenoid terminals. To be clear how are you jumping it?
In my case, I have been hooking my truck up to it and jumping it that way. I am guessing based off reading the other posts, that I need a starter relay because there is to much resistance in the system without.

In my case, I have been hooking my truck up to it and jumping it that way. I am guessing based off reading the other posts, that I need a starter relay because there is to much resistance in the system without
I haven’t been bypassing with screwdriver or wire. When I jump it, I hook my truck up to it. Starts right away when jumped that way. I am in the seat when starting so no way of getting run over. The starter relay does sound like the solution to my problem. Too much resistance would make sense. I’ll try the relay. Thank you much

In my case, I have been hooking my truck up to it and jumping it that way. I am guessing based off reading the other posts, that I need a starter relay because there is to much resistance in the system without

I haven’t been bypassing with screwdriver or wire. When I jump it, I hook my truck up to it. Starts right away when jumped that way. I am in the seat when starting so no way of getting run over. The starter relay does sound like the solution to my problem. Too much resistance would make sense. I’ll try the relay. Thank you much
Sorry, I miss understood jumping. I guess you could say I jumped to conclusion. If jumping the batteries or battery, with jumper cables you have a dirty battery connection or a poor / weak / run down battery?? Does the charging system work keeping battery charged? Is there something on tractor like a radio or monitor drawing on battery running battery down?? The alternator can draw on battery if the isolation diode is fried?? To rule out battery drain when setting, disconnect battery after tractor has been running and battery is proven it will start on it own. If tractor starts after setting when battery has been disconnected we need to find what is draining battery. DW

just wen out today and it fired right up. I parked it, shut it off, and tried again. Nothing. Battery is good. The images attached are the battery before and after running it for a while.
IMG_4866.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4865.jpeg
    IMG_4865.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
just wen out today and it fired right up. I parked it, shut it off, and tried again. Nothing. Battery is good. The images attached are the battery before and after running it for a while. View attachment 68520
That sounds like a bad cable or connection. Just because the battery voltage is good doesn't mean it is getting to the starter motor. Check the voltage at the solenoid battery terminal when just setting with the key off. Hook your meter up so you can see the voltage and watch the voltage when you try to start it. If it drops way down and the starter doesn't crank the engine a cable or connection is the likely problem. If the voltage stays up it may be the solenoid or starter.

Your booster cables from the truck can be bypassing a dirty battery terminal. I suggest you remove and clean the battery terminals and battery cable ends, then unhook and clean the other ends of the battery cables and where they connect to the tractor. I don't know where a 2510 negative battery cable connects to the tractor. If the battery ground cable is hooked to sheet metal, such as a battery box side like some models, hook it to the chassis, even if you need a longer cable to do it. As a test you could use a booster cable from battery negative post to a ground point near the starter, one of the starter's mounting bolts would be a good place.

I have around 12.60-12.65 volts at the starter. When ignition is pushed it drops to around 12.3 and then down further to 11.9. It started up fine the first time. The second time I again got nothing. Is the voltage dropping too much to engage starter?

I have around 12.60-12.65 volts at the starter. When ignition is pushed it drops to around 12.3 and then down further to 11.9. It started up fine the first time. The second time I again got nothing. Is the voltage dropping too much to engage starter?
Always be sure the tractor is in park or neutral.

Is the 11.9 volts on the terminal of the solenoid where the battery cable connects? And the starter does not crank at that time? I would expect the starter would draw the voltage down to 10.5 or so when cranking the engine. What is the voltage at the starter side of the solenoid (if it will give a reading)? What is the voltage at the solenoid start wire terminal when the key is turned to start? If you use a jumper wire between the Battery post of the solenoid and the start terminal of the solenoid, does the starter engage and crank the engine over?

Always be sure the tractor is in park or neutral.

Is the 11.9 volts on the terminal of the solenoid where the battery cable connects? And the starter does not crank at that time? I would expect the starter would draw the voltage down to 10.5 or so when cranking the engine. What is the voltage at the starter side of the solenoid (if it will give a reading)? What is the voltage at the solenoid start wire terminal when the key is turned to start? If you use a jumper wire between the Battery post of the solenoid and the start terminal of the solenoid, does the starter engage and crank the engine over?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back