JD 2020 gas questions

INCase

I imagine this has been asked before.

friend has been looking for a 40-50hp loader tractor for some time. He has a $15000 or LESS budget. Will mostly use for landscape work, pushing snow and large garden.

he's looked at a couple 3000-5000 fords, an IH utility from the early 1970s and has found a later model 2020 deere with a deere loader. it looks complete and mostly original. it is a gas engine unknown hours

I'm not familiar with Deeres much. what is there to watch out for on these? How robust are the front axles to handle the loaders? Is Deere still supporting parts for them?

THanks.

friend has been looking for a 40-50hp loader tractor for some time. He has a $15000 or LESS budget. Will mostly use for landscape work, pushing snow and large garden.

he's looked at a couple 3000-5000 fords, an IH utility from the early 1970s and has found a later model 2020 deere with a deere loader. it looks complete and mostly original. it is a gas engine unknown hours

I'm not familiar with Deeres much. what is there to watch out for on these? How robust are the front axles to handle the loaders? Is Deere still supporting parts for them?

THanks.
They were/are a good tractor. Parts are still available, many are common to other models like the 2030. The front axles are like any farm tractor with a loader, I'd say better than some. They still won't take the abuse of an industrial loader tractor.

The 20 series tractor's are all good after they worked out the bugs on the 10 series, parts are readily available and they are reliable.

Not sure where you are located, but with a budget of $15K I would think you could get a much newer tractor for loader work.

Nothing wrong with older equipment, I'm trying to cut my teeth on my operation with it, just have your friend be prepared to wrench on it.

JD for me has been the easiest to source parts for, but I just bought an IH loader tractor, so it just has to make sense for the budget.

I looked for months before I purchased. I usually bleed green, but I know other manufacturers made good equipment as well.

I bought my IH 484 because of the hydraulics and size more than anything. There are a lot of Massey Furgeson in my area, but I avoided ones of similar age just because the hydraulic system GPM flow is much lower than the IH or Deere in the same time frame. Just things to consider.

I would think a 2020 gas loader tractor would leave a lot of that budget left in their pocket.

Not sure where you are located, but with a budget of $15K I would think you could get a much newer tractor for loader work.

Nothing wrong with older equipment, I'm trying to cut my teeth on my operation with it, just have your friend be prepared to wrench on it.

JD for me has been the easiest to source parts for, but I just bought an IH loader tractor, so it just has to make sense for the budget.

I looked for months before I purchased. I usually bleed green, but I know other manufacturers made good equipment as well.

I bought my IH 484 because of the hydraulics and size more than anything. There are a lot of Massey Furgeson in my area, but I avoided ones of similar age just because the hydraulic system GPM flow is much lower than the IH or Deere in the same time frame. Just things to consider.

I would think a 2020 gas loader tractor would leave a lot of that budget left in their pocket.
we're in Northern Indiana. he had a higher budget but now the Mrs is baulking at 15000 lol. anyway he's been looking for a while. a few late 60's early 70's IH units around and a couple other 20x0 deeres too but not alot out there at the moment, maybe its the season. with his higher budget i suggested a 35-40hp kubota but i don't think he'll want to spend that. He has a Ford 555 industrial loader/hoe diesel. but that isn't handy for snow or plowing/mowing and won't even try to start in the winter. suggested he trade it at the kubota dealer. I suspect he'll keep the Ford as well at the price point of the deere. found another 2010 with loader but the ad said it needs bolts put back in the steering box???

thanks for the imputs.

THanks.
Dad bought a new 1971 2020 gas with a Deere 48 loader and that was a great combination. A neighbor had one and could not stop telling what an improvement that was over his trouble prone 2010 tractor. The last 2020 were made over 50 years ago.

Look for posts by Tim S. for the problem areas, he is/was a Deere repair shop owner. From what I remember two things would cause most of the problems: water contamination in the hydraulic fluid causing brake lining failure that could circulate in the hydraulic system, and poor coolant maintenance leading to coolant in the engine oil.

I agree that a 2020 gas and loader should only cost about half of the $15,000 budget.

the asking price is $6500 with loader and a fairly new 3pt blade.

says tires are weather checked. tread is good in the pictures and I suspect they are off brand foreign (Russian??) tires that i've heard don't hold up well.

says tires are weather checked. tread is good in the pictures and I suspect they are off brand foreign (Russian??) tires that i've heard don't hold up well.
WOW, that's a reasonable price!

we're in Northern Indiana. he had a higher budget but now the Mrs is baulking at 15000 lol. anyway he's been looking for a while. a few late 60's early 70's IH units around and a couple other 20x0 deeres too but not alot out there at the moment, maybe its the season. with his higher budget i suggested a 35-40hp kubota but i don't think he'll want to spend that. He has a Ford 555 industrial loader/hoe diesel. but that isn't handy for snow or plowing/mowing and won't even try to start in the winter. suggested he trade it at the kubota dealer. I suspect he'll keep the Ford as well at the price point of the deere. found another 2010 with loader but the ad said it needs bolts put back in the steering box???

thanks for the imputs.
Do not do the 2010. It is not close to the other JD. It is considered one of the worst JD tractors ever. Jim

I agree that is a very good price. Look it over carefully and budget for repairs needed. be prepared to follow your friend home in your vehicle as he drives the tractor home on back roads (18 MPH).

If you friend wants to price a new tractor, I think Deere still has a website where you can choose a current model, spec out the options you want and get the list price, much like auto manufacturers websites.

Do not do the 2010. It is not close to the other JD. It is considered one of the worst JD tractors ever. Jim
Yeah, the 2010's may have been okay in the early 1960's but with 60 years of wear and tear they're disposable at best. My uncle had one a few years ago, transmission piled up on him. The mechanic had a hard time finding parts and the ones he found would have cost way more than the tractor was worth. He ended up junking the tractor and buying a New Holland compact.

It should be noted that the OP is looking at a 2020 which should not be confused with a 2010. Other than a green body with yellow wheels they do not have much in common.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back