International 404 No Spark

mhedstrom

New User
I have an international 404 with no spark. I’ve replaced the spark plugs, wires, the coil, the distributor condenser, the distributor rotor, and just put a new battery on it. I’ve checked that the distributor is rotating but other than that, I’m stumped at what else it could be as almost all of the critical parts are new. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello mh, welcome to YT! Why did you not change the points or did it just get left off your list? Any indication of power to the ignition coil. A test light or meter is the best method. Or secondly, usually engines stop at a position where the points are closed. Open the cap and take a screwdriver a touching only the moving breaker point arm open and close the points and see if there is any indication of sparking at the contact pads of the points.

I have an international 404 with no spark. I’ve replaced the spark plugs, wires, the coil, the distributor condenser, the distributor rotor, and just put a new battery on it. I’ve checked that the distributor is rotating but other than that, I’m stumped at what else it could be as almost all of the critical parts are new. Any help would be appreciated.
Don't throw anymore components in its direction!!! First thing is analysis. That is because only one thin caused it to not have spark. Finding that and cleaning it or replacing it can save massive frustration. Adding more new components one after the other can create a multiple error based disaster. First clean the points with a nail file or (points file) then use a folded dollar to wipe them clean. Set them to .020 gap. put a match head size bit of points grease on the distributor cam so it finds the rubbing block as it comes around. Distributor cap and rotor off, dist cover off (if there) Turn the engine till the points are open, and use a small screw driver as follows: put it in neutral!! brakes locked or wheels blocked. Turn on the key on and touch the blade of the screw driver across the movable point to the fixed point. if it sparks a small spark there, great. Put it together and start it. if no spark, use a volt meter, or test light to see if there is power at the coil, after the coil (small terminals) and at the distributor (points must be open!) if no voltage, the key, or wiring to the coil is the issue. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back