International 2250 loader cylinder spec

old

So the 2250 loader on my IH584 has cylinder problems. O bent one of the 2 bucket cylinders a couple years ago and the cylinder on it now are not working as they should. I want to replace the cylinder with one with bigger shaft diameter so I will not bend another one. So does any body kno0w the specs as to how long they are retracted and how long extended??

THANKS

So the 2250 loader on my IH584 has cylinder problems. O bent one of the 2 bucket cylinders a couple years ago and the cylinder on it now are not working as they should. I want to replace the cylinder with one with bigger shaft diameter so I will not bend another one. So does any body kno0w the specs as to how long they are retracted and how long extended??

THANKS
Can't you measure up the one that is not bent? If you are going to change one cylinder you should replace both cylinders on a two-cylinder set up.

Can't you measure up the one that is not bent? If you are going to change one cylinder you should replace both cylinders on a two-cylinder set up.
We can close the cylinder up but I don't think we are getting it to extend all the way. I may take and measure pin to pin on the loader mounts of the cylinder with it closed and then open. This loader has 2 places for a cylinder at both mount points also

We can close the cylinder up but I don't think we are getting it to extend all the way. I may take and measure pin to pin on the loader mounts of the cylinder with it closed and then open. This loader has 2 places for a cylinder at both mount points also
Set the bucket on the ground. Unhook the rod end of the good cylinder and position the rod end to clear of the bucket and extend it. It should travel the full stroke then. Measuring the centers of the bucket pin holes may not work if the bucket has stops that stop the bucket before the cylinders are out of stroke. They do that so there is a mechanical stop on the bucket to prevent pulling on the cylinder pistons, rods, and glands if someone is blading with the bucket dumped.

Set the bucket on the ground. Unhook the rod end of the good cylinder and position the rod end to clear of the bucket and extend it. It should travel the full stroke then. Measuring the centers of the bucket pin holes may not work if the bucket has stops that stop the bucket before the cylinders are out of stroke. They do that so there is a mechanical stop on the bucket to prevent pulling on the cylinder pistons, rods, and glands if someone is blading with the bucket dumped.
Problem is that the cylinder that where on the loader are not longer on it. I put a set of cylinders I had from another loader on it because they where a close fit but they are no longer working as they should and the bucket drops if I lift the loader in the air

I have the manual for the IH 3000 loader. It shows for the bucket cylinders bore at 2 1/2" with a stroke of 22 1/4". The lift cylinders bore at 2 1/2" with a stroke of 33 3/4". Not sure about the 2250 but pics of mine and the IH 2000 were almost identical.

I have the manual for the IH 3000 loader. It shows for the bucket cylinders bore at 2 1/2" with a stroke of 22 1/4". The lift cylinders bore at 2 1/2" with a stroke of 33 3/4". Not sure about the 2250 but pics of mine and the IH 2000 were almost identical.
When replacing cylinder you need to know how long they are pin center to pin center both closed and extended. I hope to find cylinders with a larger diameter rod so as to not bend them again. The cylinder that where on it had 1 inch diameter rods which are to me way to small for the HP of a 584

I hear ya. 1 inch cylinders aren't much if you do any back dragging with them. At least you have one known that being the cylinders you put on it are too short so you have a minimum. Not sure if you have the bent cylinders laying around but take two tractors tied on to each end of the cylinder and pull it apart or unscrew the gland and pull it apart to get the long measurement. For the short measurement just measure the cylinder plus there will be a mark on the old rod where it didn't retract anymore to get the measurement to the rod end.

Or use a lift or another tractor with a loader or park it under a tree limb with a chain hoist or set the end of the loader on blocks. Support the bucket using one of the above methods, disconnect the cylinders, and rotate the bucket to where you want it to be. Then measure.

This begs the question of how they are engineered to begin with. Common sense tells me you want big cylinders to lift heavy loads with and smaller just to curl a bucket. But when I think about using the curl cylinders to force the bucket to dig into hard ground and especially when using for back dragging, then common sense says they need to be same or bigger. I see my IH3000 uses the same size rods which are 2.5". When you look at boom, crowd, bucket, swing, and stabilizer cylinders on a backhoe the rod size can get to 3" to 4". The IH 3000 was made to fit on a 340, 460, 504, 2504, 606, and 2606.

The bigger you go the more pump volume you need to run the cylinder at the same speed a smaller one would. I know you know all this but thought I'd throw it out there for a someone who doesn't. I noticed when you search 2250 at Messicks it brings up the frame diagrams but not cylinders. go figure.

Problem is that the cylinder that where on the loader are not longer on it. I put a set of cylinders I had from another loader on it because they where a close fit but they are no longer working as they should and the bucket drops if I lift the loader in the air
You might have included that info in the beginning.

Did the rod bend because it was too long and bent when the bucket dumped, and the rod contacted the end of the boom, bending the rod as the bucket rolled further to dumped? Pushing with the bucket dumped can do that on some loaders, if there are no stops on the bucket. They can also pull glands out of barrels or the rods out of the pistons. Very seldom will the hydraulics bend a ram, it is generally an outside force that causes bending.

When the bucket is rolled fully back (rams retracted) and the bucket physically stopped by the frame/linkage, are the rods fully retracted or are they still out a bit? If they are still out a bit that will give you the center-to-center closed length pin dimension. By measuring the amount of rod showing it should get you close to the right barrel length.

Using the part number (for the original and substitute cylinders) it appears Parts ASAP has one and they give the rod diameter and stroke for a starting point. Here is a link.

2250 bucket cylinder

rod: 28.57mm (1-1/8")
stroke: 446.73mm (18-3/8")

Edited to add: The online parts book shows the same bucket cylinder was used on the 1850 loaders.

Last edited:
Old if you can extend the cylinder fully. Wedge a block of wood between the fframe and the rod retract the cylinder to straighten the rod. Watch how much it bends the rod and where. I did this on ours 40 years ago . It is still on the loader and working fine. IT does leak a bit. Just keeps the end of the barrel wet. We have not resealed it nor tore it apart in all this time. Do watch the bend as you retract the cylinder though and if need be just extend it to get the block out and examine the shaft as you go. If I didn't tell you which one it was I would doubt you could tell by looking at the rods. Our 2050 series A , our loader has bigger rods than an inch the pins were about an inch that hold the bucket to the arms and cylinders. I belive rods are about 1-1/4 or maybe only 1-1/8. Only time the rod was bent and that was because somebody using a chain hooked it to tight for the distance for the bucket to move and not seeing it bent the rod by extending the cylinder.

Old if you can extend the cylinder fully. Wedge a block of wood between the fframe and the rod retract the cylinder to straighten the rod. Watch how much it bends the rod and where. I did this on ours 40 years ago . It is still on the loader and working fine. IT does leak a bit. Just keeps the end of the barrel wet. We have not resealed it nor tore it apart in all this time. Do watch the bend as you retract the cylinder though and if need be just extend it to get the block out and examine the shaft as you go. If I didn't tell you which one it was I would doubt you could tell by looking at the rods. Our 2050 series A , our loader has bigger rods than an inch the pins were about an inch that hold the bucket to the arms and cylinders. I belive rods are about 1-1/4 or maybe only 1-1/8. Only time the rod was bent and that was because somebody using a chain hooked it to tight for the distance for the bucket to move and not seeing it bent the rod by extending the cylinder.
Yesterday O hooked one end to my 1980 Chevy pickup and the other end to the tractor and pulled and I could't get it to pull out any more but I did move the truck side ways a bit

Probably just have to unscrew the gland and take it apart. Some of those double acting rods have to be taken apart at both ends to get the rod out. Assuming you can't straighten it with the wedge block.

Probably just have to unscrew the gland and take it apart. Some of those double acting rods have to be taken apart at both ends to get the rod out. Assuming you can't straighten it with the wedge block.
The one I tried to pull out as far as it can go is the good one not the one that is bent

You might have included that info in the beginning.

Did the rod bend because it was too long and bent when the bucket dumped, and the rod contacted the end of the boom, bending the rod as the bucket rolled further to dumped? Pushing with the bucket dumped can do that on some loaders, if there are no stops on the bucket. They can also pull glands out of barrels or the rods out of the pistons. Very seldom will the hydraulics bend a ram, it is generally an outside force that causes bending.

When the bucket is rolled fully back (rams retracted) and the bucket physically stopped by the frame/linkage, are the rods fully retracted or are they still out a bit? If they are still out a bit that will give you the center-to-center closed length pin dimension. By measuring the amount of rod showing it should get you close to the right barrel length.

Using the part number (for the original and substitute cylinders) it appears Parts ASAP has one and they give the rod diameter and stroke for a starting point. Here is a link.

2250 bucket cylinder

rod: 28.57mm (1-1/8")
stroke: 446.73mm (18-3/8")

Edited to add: The online parts book shows the same bucket cylinder was used on the 1850 loaders.
I ordered 2 cylinders from Surplus supply. Not the exact cylinders but hopefully close enough to do the job. I did some measuring and close the cylinders that are on it now was 27 inches and open 48 inches. I can also say ouch as for what the pair of new cylinder are costing as in a tad bit over a grand

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back