IH584 steering seal

old

Just under the steering where I have a bad hyd oil leak. I'm wondering if I could pull the steering wheel off and get to the seal and pull it and match it to a seal that would fit. This is on the IH584 I was given a few years back and it had burned and that area was so hot the only thing left of the steering wheel is the metal that was inside the plastic and it has no dash so that whole area got pretty hot so I figure the seal just melted

Just under the steering where I have a bad hyd oil leak. I'm wondering if I could pull the steering wheel off and get to the seal and pull it and match it to a seal that would fit. This is on the IH584 I was given a few years back and it had burned and that area was so hot the only thing left of the steering wheel is the metal that was inside the plastic and it has no dash so that whole area got pretty hot so I figure the seal just melted
It's been a few years since I replaced one, but best I can remember, the procedure went like this.....remove the steering wheel from hand pump. I want to think there is a snap ring that holds the seal in place.....remove it and lay the steering wheel lightly back onto hand pump shaft. With the engine off, turn the steering wheel and it should pop the seal up from It's designated place where it can be grabbed once the wheel is lifted again from the hand pump. It was a pretty easy job once the wheel was removed.

It's been a few years since I replaced one, but best I can remember, the procedure went like this.....remove the steering wheel from hand pump. I want to think there is a snap ring that holds the seal in place.....remove it and lay the steering wheel lightly back onto hand pump shaft. With the engine off, turn the steering wheel and it should pop the seal up from It's designated place where it can be grabbed once the wheel is lifted again from the hand pump. It was a pretty easy job once the wheel was removed.
I can only hope it would/will be that easy but since this one got hot who knows till I try. I just know I'm tired of my pants legs getting hyd oil on them

That is the procedure though with heat it might be another thing. If you have to go to the other end watch some of them arew timed and need to be kept there on those.

Been a bunch of years since I did the hand pump on the 2606 but it looks like you have a different style with a bolt on top piece from the drawing on Messicks site. On mine I had to pull the wheel and the dash to get to it. Then I started it briefly to blow the top seal out once I got the retainer out. Likely problem causing the seals to go is using the steering wheel to grab on to so you can pull yourself up on the tractor.

Been a bunch of years since I did the hand pump on the 2606 but it looks like you have a different style with a bolt on top piece from the drawing on Messicks site. On mine I had to pull the wheel and the dash to get to it. Then I started it briefly to blow the top seal out once I got the retainer out. Likely problem causing the seals to go is using the steering wheel to grab on to so you can pull yourself up on the tractor.
In this case it was the fact it got hit by lightning and caught fire. It has no dash since that burned as well as many other parts. The fire didn't get the tires but got a whole lot of other parts like hoses and the rops liner and melted the lights in the fenders and also took the front grill

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back