IH blue paint

Charlie M

I always thought the blue IH paint used on implements was a darker blue as that is what I have seen on most implements - at least what paint is left on most implements. Last year a guy told me the blue on my A193 plow was similar to Ford blue which a lot lighter color that other implements I've seen. Did IH use more that one color of blue on equipment?

IMG_0636.jpeg
I’ve heard that Ford blue claim before…

I’ve taken new old stock parts to Sherman Williams and had them match it . I like the dark blue color on the Farmall C implement s .
I agree with the van siclke , Ace hardware has spray rattle can . Farm family and home has quart cans of x o rust.
Y T store here has it .

In my experience Ace Hardware IH Blue, Van Sickle IH Blue, and Tallman's IH Blue are all the same color. Tallman's is made by Van Sickle in Lincoln, NE. Ford Blue would be a lighter shade. To my eyes it does not look correct on an IH restored implement. You will see some lighter colored blue IH implements at tractors shows at times.

I always thought the blue IH paint used on implements was a darker blue as that is what I have seen on most implements - at least what paint is left on most implements. Last year a guy told me the blue on my A193 plow was similar to Ford blue which a lot lighter color that other implements I've seen. Did IH use more that one color of blue on equipment?
Id have to dig out some old records of mine, but there was a "Ford" blue that was real close. It was some odd brand paint that our ag teacher found back in the 70s and was able to get it through the multiple restorations we did when he was my teacher.

When I redid my #70 plow a few years back, I found some paint at one of our local farm stores. The brand name was "XO Rust", and the color was "XO-8 Blue". I was very satisfied with how it turned out
DSCN2285.JPG
DSCN2301.JPG

The Kubota 008 (70000-70474) Excavator blue is the closest I've found* to the deep blue that IH used at times & looks more on par to what Fritz has in his picture.

IH had a lot of different blue paint colors due to the truck line & it would not surprise me if they had to tap into that supply if the standard color was tapped out. Also, there were different paint types & a blue varnish was available for sickle bars & Blue Jet sweeps when they first came out. Which would explain the differences in shades of blue on the NOS parts I've seen &/or have.

Mike

*At least for an easy to find option in a rattle can.

No way. The Ford paint is a bright blue and the IH implement blue is a dark navy. Some parts stores have it in rattle cans and I have seen it in quart and gallon cans. I have found it at ACE Hardware, and I believe it was ORileys.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back