Identifying Troybilt Horse tiller

dhermesc

I know, I have a theme going here.

How do you correctly identify which version you have? I think I have it figured out. I have the "four speed" model with a Tecumseh HH60 engine (marked as an XL). It has two forward speeds but you can move the drive belt to the second set of drive pullies for additional speed. I believe this makes it a "Horse 2".

When I went to the MTD website for manuals it rejected my serial number (685043) and told me to guess what I had.

http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/Public.do?BrandCode=10001

This is actually a pretty good site because it includes the parts manuals too.

try horse as model and just the number 1 as serial number

you should get long list of choices, try finding serial number series that fits yours

they are all pretty much the same unit with the minor variations

I have the same tiller minus the HH60 engine. They also made one with electric start with the same engine. Hal
2nrlnuw.jpg

Here's an old brochure on Troy Bilt tillers dated back in the 70's when I bought my first Troy Bilt the H-70 model & the 6 hp H-60 is shown too with electric start and without. The starter button was on the end of the right handle. I paid just under $700.00 for the 7hp. Hal
apikgn.jpg

I put in my serial number and it said the number didn't fall into an identifiable range then gave me the "big" list of manuals for all Horse models. After I viewed a couple of manuals it appears the Horse "2" (as MTD identifies it) is what I have.

It sounds like a Horse 2. I bought one last month with a Tecumseh engine. The manual you want is the old one. It runs 180 pages, including a 40-page section on how to grow a garden. A most impressive document, indeed. Garden Way definitely took the job of producing a tiller seriously in the late seventies-early eighties.

The manual's too big to send as an attachment, and the last time I tried to find my way in to download it, I had forgotten the directions I read on another board.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back