Husqvarna Jerky drive pedal response

Texasmark

Acquired about a 2016 or so mower with a 22 HP BS, Hydrostatic, and 46" dual blade mower deck with 106 hours. I have an older mower of the same except the engine is a 20 HP BS twin (replace the original Kohler 20 hp single) Hydro., and very smooth pedal operation.

The transmission works fine and propels the machine much faster than the older one....not that speed is of interest to me but the problem is that if the engine is up around midrange or higher RPM, unlike the older one where pedal operation is smooth, this one goes from no drive to pop your neck drive with slight pedal movement once you hit a certain depression point.

Question is, is there any adjustment on the pump whereby you can slow down the response time and smooth out the engagement rather than having a "step function" in the ground movement?

This one doesn't have the plastic transmission, does it? If it does, it is not a hydro transmission and those plastic transmissions tend to jerk. (And do lots of other funny stuff-like forward only, reverse only etc.)

Does it use a handle to control speed or does the right hand pedal controll the speed?

Are you stopping with the left hand clutch/brake pedal or with the right pedal? If it is pedal control you are supposed to ease off the right hand pedal and it will slow down to neutral.

If your tractor uses a handle to controll the speed and you are stopping with the clutch pedal, when you release the clutch it will try to immediately return to the same speed you left the handle at.

If you are using the 'cruise control' option (lever in the lower dash-not on all Husqvarna tractors.) and are stopping with the l;eft hand clutch/brake pedal it will probably do the same thing- immediately resume the last speed you set-when you release the left hand clutch brake pedal.

I assumed it was a hydro as it is not manual shift. This is my third one of these and the first two were lower hp, not the 22 BS and the tranny was smooth operating with the foot pedal, both forward and with the reverse rocker in reverse. I don't have a problem with it not doing what the pedal tells it to do. The only problem is that it jerks in both F and R when I want to move from a stopped position. Acceleration once moving is very smooth and if you put the pedal to the metal it really scoots.....faster than any I ever had.
Right pedal controls the speed.
What does the plastic tranny look like-----color? I doubt it.
Speed control is on the left.......down is idle, up to the detent is full speed and moving above the detent is choke.
I don't use CC and very seldom use the brake...only when I want to stop on a slope to keep me in position. It works fine and when released I can move the machine.

Thanks for picking up on this thread.

I assumed it was a hydro as it is not manual shift. This is my third one of these and the first two were lower hp, not the 22 BS and the tranny was smooth operating with the foot pedal, both forward and with the reverse rocker in reverse. I don't have a problem with it not doing what the pedal tells it to do. The only problem is that it jerks in both F and R when I want to move from a stopped position. Acceleration once moving is very smooth and if you put the pedal to the metal it really scoots.....faster than any I ever had.
Right pedal controls the speed.
What does the plastic tranny look like-----color? I doubt it.
Speed control is on the left.......down is idle, up to the detent is full speed and moving above the detent is choke.
I don't use CC and very seldom use the brake...only when I want to stop on a slope to keep me in position. It works fine and when released I can move the machine.

Thanks for picking up on this thread.
That is not a hydrostatic transmission, the foot pedal adjusts a variator which has two belts. One from the engine to the variator pulley and one from the variator to the transmission. Basically it's the same design as the models with a "7 speed" setting and a separate lever for forward and reverse. On yours instead of 7 positions to place a lever in, you are adjusting it with a foot pedal, when the belts start getting worn and stretched they can be a little jerky from a dead stop

Acquired about a 2016 or so mower with a 22 HP BS, Hydrostatic, and 46" dual blade mower deck with 106 hours. I have an older mower of the same except the engine is a 20 HP BS twin (replace the original Kohler 20 hp single) Hydro., and very smooth pedal operation.

The transmission works fine and propels the machine much faster than the older one....not that speed is of interest to me but the problem is that if the engine is up around midrange or higher RPM, unlike the older one where pedal operation is smooth, this one goes from no drive to pop your neck drive with slight pedal movement once you hit a certain depression point.

Question is, is there any adjustment on the pump whereby you can slow down the response time and smooth out the engagement rather than having a "step function" in the ground movement?

I have a Cub Cadet 129, hydro. It does the same thing. Jerks. Hand control forward and back. Not real handy. I have researched it. Most say that was the nature of the beast in those early stages of development. Strangely enough, it improved some after I had the carburetor cleaned and worked on.

This machine only has about 100 hours on it. Neighbor asked me about a riding mower to buy and I had an earlier model, 20 hp. Since I liked mine they bought the newer 22 HP unit. Right off the bat, you pushed on the pedal slightly to get it going and nothing would happen. Continue applying pressure gradually and all of a sudden you were moving at a good clip. The neighbor was rough on his stuff tearing up blades and tires and all that and wound up giving it to me after I had repaired it several times.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back