hobart inventor series self darkening welding hood

1704159472408.png
Question, I am looking for a new hood. So after many years I have decided to get an autodarkening one. Anybody know about this one, it is the Hobart inventor series with the large lens and is at Tractor Supply priced at $129.95, what are the good the bad and the ugly things about it? Thanks for your time, and it is tractor related because I need it to do some welding on my implements. Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.

I have one of the Hobarts from TS but don't know the model. It was around $110 a few years ago. Decent helmet but much heavier than the ArcOne I have for stick. This just reminds me I need to change the battery. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have a Hobart auto darkening hood but do not remember if it is the inventor series or not with out running out to my shop. Have had it several years but do not remember how long. I have no complaints about it. I used to have a Lincoln hood with a smaller lens. The bigger lens is a lot better for some of the positions I need to be in to weld.

Upvote 0
It checks off most of the things I look for in a hood. Has 4 arc sensors, a fairly large view area, adjustable shade, and a grind mode. On the minus side, it uses a button battery, I prefer AAA powered when available.

There are hoods with more viewing area, but not much, and cost a premium. I wouldn’t be afraid to try one if in the budget.

Upvote 0
I have been using one for 2 or 3 years now. I have no complaints. Great clear view. It has a grind mode that I use with a torch so no problems with glasses.

I had a more expensive one that I should have junked a long time ago. My ideal now is buy a cheaper one that works and replace it more often.

RT

Upvote 0
I'm on my second auto darkening. I've been using them for over 20 years. I was told by a professional welder they are hard on your eyes. I have been flashed many times prior to the auto darkening. I've never been flashed by the auto ones, providing I remember to keep batteries changed. I have never used an old school hood since getting my first auto dark. I don't weld daily. I plan on never being without an auto-dark ever again.

Upvote 0
View attachment 930 Question, I am looking for a new hood. So after many years I have decided to get an autodarkening one. Anybody know about this one, it is the Hobart inventor series with the large lens and is at Tractor Supply priced at $129.95, what are the good the bad and the ugly things about it? Thanks for your time, and it is tractor related because I need it to do some welding on my implements. Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.
Only thing I would say is don't get one with a on off switch and battery in it that can be replaced. To often you forget to turn it on or the switch goes bad or the battery dies. I buy the cheapest I can find.under $50 have used 4 in the last 30 years. first one lasted 15-18 years and was the best. I kept buying the exact same brand and model but the quality went down and the price up. But that is life.

Upvote 0
I don’t believe you, and I’ve never believed your claims on this subject. From the beginning, AD hoods have blocked UV rays whether on or off, and that’s what causes arc flash: basically a severe sunburn to your eyes. It’s not the switching speed or the sensitivity. When you spout this BS, it causes people to steer away from technology that can really help them do a better job welding, and that’s a shame. if I recall, your version of the story is you were flashed working in an aluminum boat factory. Were you wearing safety glasses 100% of the time?
I think I know what happened to OLD. It happened to me as well with an auto shield. The flash comes in under the helmet or bounces off a bright white shirt you wear. I had nice new white walls in my building and welded for 4-6 hours. The flash off the wall came in around the back side and I got real welding flash BAD. had nothing to do with auto shield

Upvote 0
View attachment 930 Question, I am looking for a new hood. So after many years I have decided to get an autodarkening one. Anybody know about this one, it is the Hobart inventor series with the large lens and is at Tractor Supply priced at $129.95, what are the good the bad and the ugly things about it? Thanks for your time, and it is tractor related because I need it to do some welding on my implements. Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.
Frankly it isn't significantly bigger/better/nicer than the $39.99 one from Harbor Freight. If I was going to spend big money on one, I'd get the Vulcan one from Harbor Freight when it comes on sale. For the same money you get a much larger viewing space. Thing is the cheap Harbor Freight one has just as much viewing space as a traditional fixed shade helmet...

I went from not being able to weld at all to being a passable farm welder with an auto darkening helmet. When I went to lower the fixed shade helmet and strike an arc, the electrode would move and not be anywhere near where it needed to be.

BTW, the "solar panel" is not to charge the battery. That's the flash sensor that causes the helmet to darken, so don't leave the helmet in the sun thinking you're "charging the battery." You aren't. If anything you're running the battery down.

Upvote 0
I think I know what happened to OLD. It happened to me as well with an auto shield. The flash comes in under the helmet or bounces off a bright white shirt you wear. I had nice new white walls in my building and welded for 4-6 hours. The flash off the wall came in around the back side and I got real welding flash BAD. had nothing to do with auto shield
The only option in that case is a pancake. Or curtains.

Upvote 0
I picked up this one from Amazon
Screenshot_20240102_120609_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yeswelder as in- Yes I am no welder. But at least it says I am. Lol. It works good, better than an old Princess Auto one I had. It also comes with a bag cover type thing I use to keep the hood in the dark. I think that saves some of the battery by not turning on and off all the time when not being used. It also helps keep the grinding dust off of it.

Upvote 0
I have a Miller that I have had for about 15 years. I do forget to turn it on, on occasion, but have never had a problem with flash burns. I don't wear the protective clothing I have sometimes, and get the sunburn here and there. Reflection off white or light-colored clothing is a hazard, though. zuhnc

Upvote 0
Frankly it isn't significantly bigger/better/nicer than the $39.99 one from Harbor Freight. If I was going to spend big money on one, I'd get the Vulcan one from Harbor Freight when it comes on sale. For the same money you get a much larger viewing space. Thing is the cheap Harbor Freight one has just as much viewing space as a traditional fixed shade helmet...

I went from not being able to weld at all to being a passable farm welder with an auto darkening helmet. When I went to lower the fixed shade helmet and strike an arc, the electrode would move and not be anywhere near where it needed to be.

BTW, the "solar panel" is not to charge the battery. That's the flash sensor that causes the helmet to darken, so don't leave the helmet in the sun thinking you're "charging the battery." You aren't. If anything you're running the battery down.

"
BTW, the "solar panel" is not to charge the battery."
That's NOT always true! I dunno about the helmet the O.P. is looking at but there ARE ''solar'' recharging helmets out there.

ONE example...

https://www.amazon.com/Powered-Welding-Darkening-Professional-Adjustable/dp/B06XFSCDX9?th=1

''LONG BATTERY LIFE — This solar power auto darkening welding helmet is battery powered, but is fitted with solar panel technology to allow for effortless charging. Simply place your welding helmet within a naturally lit environment when not in use so it’s ready to go when you are. ''

Upvote 0
"

That's NOT always true! I dunno about the helmet the O.P. is looking at but there ARE ''solar'' recharging helmets out there.

ONE example...

https://www.amazon.com/Powered-Welding-Darkening-Professional-Adjustable/dp/B06XFSCDX9?th=1

''LONG BATTERY LIFE — This solar power auto darkening welding helmet is battery powered, but is fitted with solar panel technology to allow for effortless charging. Simply place your welding helmet within a naturally lit environment when not in use so it’s ready to go when you are. ''
I'd take that description with a grain of salt considering the source. Those helmets come in a plain white box with no documentation. That whole description is probably made up. The person writing it saw the "solar panel" and made the same mistake many people do. Heck for the longest time I thought they were "solar powered" until I learned otherwise.

Upvote 0
I'd take that description with a grain of salt considering the source. Those helmets come in a plain white box with no documentation. That whole description is probably made up. The person writing it saw the "solar panel" and made the same mistake many people do. Heck for the longest time I thought they were "solar powered" until I learned otherwise.
Here's what the package for my Hobart hood (a different series than what the O.P. is looking at has to say about the subject..

Attachments

• IMG_20240102_182303384~3.jpg
    IMG_20240102_182303384~3.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20240102_182303384~2.jpg
    IMG_20240102_182303384~2.jpg
    722.5 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0
Look on the Internet there is one called true color and I can see a lot better with it there around $70

Upvote 0
I just bought myself an auto darkening hood. I read reviews by a guy called weld guru. He offered his opinion on about 9 or 10 helmets. I chose a Lincoln Viking 3350 from Amazon. It was on sale (and still is). I spent more than I originally wanted, but decided I'm old, and won't need another. I tried it yesterday and really liked it-just need to get all the adjustments down. Mark.

Upvote 0
Wanted to know if OP has bought and used the Hobart Inventor series helmet? If so how did it work out? I'm in the market for a helmet and Hobart is on the short list as I've had an old "The Hood" helmet from them in the past that worked good.

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back