HELP ME CREATE A PAINT CODE REFERENCE CHART

Reading through the archives of this and other popular Ford Tractor forums one soon realizes the sketchy documentation of the original and correct paint codes. Since the question comes up frequently, I would like to assemble a chart with paint codes for the various paint manufacturers organized by tractor production dates for the early four cylinder tractors. The restorer can use the list to make up their mind on what is the "correct" color for their tractor.

When boiling down the results from archived conversations on this topic I found the general consensus as follows:

There was only one shade of grey for the 9/2N tractor - Often referred to as Machinery or Battleship grey.

Tractors produced from 1947-1957 were Vermilion red and Olive grey.

In 1958 the red was tinted slightly orange and the olive grey continued as before.

Beginning in 1962, Ford replaced the red with a medium shade of blue referred to as Empire Blue. The correct shade of grey used for this particular color scheme will likely generate a lot of discussion as I read numerous accounts of where the correct shade should be the Olive grey while others felt that a lighter shade of grey was used when Ford changed from red and grey to blue and grey.

[size=18:23898617f6][b:23898617f6]1939-1947[/b:23898617f6][/size:23898617f6]
[b:23898617f6]Grey[/b:23898617f6]
Ford Paint Code: M 2888 - Enamel
Tisco: TP230
Martin-Senour: 6019
Van Sickle: CML-0008

[b:23898617f6][size=18:23898617f6]1948-1957[/b:23898617f6][/size:23898617f6]
[b:23898617f6]Grey (olive)[/b:23898617f6]
Ford Paint Code: M 13243 - Enamel
CNH: M1J-957-SE5DS
Tisco: TP240
PPG: 32675
Centauri: 250202

[b:23898617f6]Red (Vermilion)[/b:23898617f6]
Ford Paint Code: M 2822
Tisco: TP310
PPG: 70075
Van Sickle: 480
Rustoleum: Sunrise Red

[size=18:23898617f6][b:23898617f6]1958-1961[/b:23898617f6][/size:23898617f6]
[b:23898617f6]Grey (light)[/b:23898617f6]

[b:23898617f6]Red (orange)[/b:23898617f6]
CNH: M1J-956-SE5DSLF
Van Sickle: CML-5024

[b:23898617f6][size=18:23898617f6]1962-1964[/size:23898617f6][/b:23898617f6]
[b:23898617f6]Grey (light)[/b:23898617f6]

[b:23898617f6]Blue (Empire)[/b:23898617f6]
Tisco: TP360
PPG: 12720
Van Sickle: CML-7012

If you went to the trouble of getting an original, un-faded, tractor part color scanned that falls into the above production years, I will gladly add the paint producer and code to the list.

Any errors that I made were purely unintentional - Please don’t nail me to the barn door - Just let me know my mistake and I will make the correction and post a completed chart for all future restorers to have as a reference.

Thank you in advance.

Lost cause. But first off there was no olive gray on 47-57"s and both the red and gray both did change with the 1958 model intro. I have paint codes and color chips from a lot of different paint mfgrs. and there is a big problem with using them, they don"t make paint like they used to so those formulas will not work today. I paint my Fords with hand mixed colors using original parts for a match. John Smith has a very nice and close to original red posted on his site but I feel his gray is more like the 58-early 60"s gray. It is a very attractive looking gray color and I recommend using it. DuPont automotive folks are friends of ours and I had them transpose the original color codes to todays paint. Red came out just fine and the gray was wonderful until it got hit by the evening sunlight when it took on a very greenish hue. Just can"t duplicate those old paints as I and many others have tried.

Kudos Dollar Bill!!!!!!!!!!! There are lots of paint code lists out there that are little more than a hunting list because they don't give the years that they were used. I have never heard of "olive" gray though. Maybe you were thinking of another adjective.

Thanks Showcrop - As you suspected, I used the word "olive" because it has a slight green tinge to it - I'd seen the reference before and couldn't come up with a better way to describe it.

I paint my Fords with hand mixed colors using original parts for a match. DuPont automotive folks are friends of ours and I had them transpose the original color codes to todays paint.

Thanks Gaspump - That's exactly what I'm looking for - Someone who has made the effort to color match the original paint. Would you care to share those and the DuPont paint codes as well?

As mentioned, there's no real agreement on the original paint codes - I am just trying to provide a menu for those just starting out and give them a single source document that would be a good place to start.

Haven't worked on it for years now but I'll see what I can do, pretty big collection of data. The DuPont codes are for tractor paint of the day and I do have the 8N as well as the 100 series. Busy for a day or two but I will find it soon. Meantime remember 8N colors that John Smiths has posted on his site are excellent like original choices.

I wish I could be of help to ya, but, I lean toward the local SHERWIN WILLIAMS paint store to mix up their "Industrial Enamel" for my restoration jobs. Only $18.00 per qt. Then I just add some hardner.

They (Sherwin Williams) really do not have a code for their blend. I like their product and with their computer blender recipe, it looks just as good as FORD"s orig. color.

I used NAPA "Ford Gray" for "aft WWII" colors. The darker battleship gray was always to depressing for me. Then NAPA Ford Gray changed their colors because they dropped the "colbolt" blue additive. So, always purchase enough for the job at hand.

Problems here are UPS charges to purchase paints outta town.

I buy CarQuest paint. Good paint and they have Grey and Med. Grey also spray cans in color. They also have ford red. Carquest Stores may not be in your area.

Martin Senour M2J957 (good paint not the cheap chit) is a zack match for the grey 48 to 52 N...

Ford corporate grey is a good match for 39 to 47... Sorry no # but any GOOD paint supplier should have it...

mite be here...

Thanks Hobo, I'd looked at that same PDF - Actually, it was what prompted me to develop a list that was a little easier to read.

Sure wish Ford would have given their tractor paints a proper name like they did for cars/trucks.

(quoted from post at 16:41:42 01/23/12) I buy CarQuest paint. Good paint and they have Grey and Med. Grey also spray cans in color. They also have ford red. Carquest Stores may not be in your area.

Which Ford red do they have?

When I restored my 1946 2N I removed the seat spring and found a nicely preserved piece of original paint. I had the guys at the local car paint store match it and they did with PPG Enamel. If you want I can dig out the information if you think it would help.

5549.jpg

Walston - That would be great!!

Great looking tractor and a very happy owner too!

I know everyone's monitor displays color differently but yours sure looks right to me.

I wanted to repaint my grader blade but didn't want to pay the high price for most paints. I ended up using rustolium safety red enamal. Almost a perfect match for my 8-n painted with Ford New Holland from the local dealer. I bought the paint at Lowes locally.

Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I have the old Paint mixing formulas for the 8N Gray and Red. Last time I called my NAPA man, he said Martin Senour had changed the paint from this old formula, so I haven't tried it to see ifn it's right on like this old formula was.
Dave

Here are the formulas in the amounts needed for QUARTS. If you need pints just divide the amounts by 2. If you need gal just multiply the amounts by 4. 2qts mult. by 2. ETC.

FORD TRACTOR GRAY 99L 3732 Martin Senour

COLOR AMOUNT

9813 yellow 88.0
9801 black 189.0
9835 Dryer 234.0
9800 white 991.0

FORD TRACTOR RED 99N 3733 Martin Senour

COLOR AMOUNT

9812 violet 141.0
9835 dryer 186.0
9806 orange 977.0

(quoted from post at 14:40:26 01/24/12) Walston - That would be great!!

Great looking tractor and a very happy owner too!

I know everyone's monitor displays color differently but yours sure looks right to me.

OK I will dig it out, may be this weekend.

(quoted from post at 14:25:04 01/24/12) When I restored my 1946 2N I removed the seat spring and found a nicely preserved piece of original paint. I had the guys at the local car paint store match it and they did with PPG Enamel. If you want I can dig out the information if you think it would help.

5549.jpg

Here is the paint sheet from PPG. I talked to them and they said it was OK to post. This is the final mixture, it was a perfect match to the original on MY tractor. The accelerator number is 80.9. Take this to a PPG paint place and they can fix you up.

5670.jpg

Lost cause. But first off there was no olive gray on 47-57"s and both the red and gray both did change with the 1958 model intro. I have paint codes and color chips from a lot of different paint mfgrs. and there is a big problem with using them, they don"t make paint like they used to so those formulas will not work today. I paint my Fords with hand mixed colors using original parts for a match. John Smith has a very nice and close to original red posted on his site but I feel his gray is more like the 58-early 60"s gray. It is a very attractive looking gray color and I recommend using it. DuPont automotive folks are friends of ours and I had them transpose the original color codes to todays paint. Red came out just fine and the gray was wonderful until it got hit by the evening sunlight when it took on a very greenish hue. Just can"t duplicate those old paints as I and many others have tried.
I'm now looking at Nason paint .... can you give me a hint for closest Dupont codes to match 1995 Vermilion Red & Medium Grey?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back