Help identifying a super major

Gugge

New User
Hi
I'm new here, I hope I picked the right place to post this.

I'm looking to buy a super major in the near future.
But I have a hard time nailing down solid difference between "some of the majors"
Take this (in the picture) for an example. The hood badge says power major, and it seems to be lacking the qualitrol control input for the top link. But it has disc brakes and a diff lock (also har headlights in the grill like a super major)

Any body knows if the power major had disc brakes for an option?
Or if the super major had "qualitrol control" as an option?

Best regards
Screenshot_2024-04-09-14-12-58-97_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

The differential lock pedal indicates Super Major( , as do the white wheels and fenders(late model). The original grille shell was probably badly damaged, and someone found a good Power Major shell, and put the Super Major grilles into it. I don't know if the PM hydraulic top cover worked on the SM, or if there was an option. I'm sure Majorman will be along, and he will know.

The differential lock pedal indicates Super Major( , as do the white wheels and fenders(late model). The original grille shell was probably badly damaged, and someone found a good Power Major shell, and put the Super Major grilles into it. I don't know if the PM hydraulic top cover worked on the SM, or if there was an option. I'm sure Majorman will be along, and he will know.
Yes, the Power Major hydraulics can be fitted to the Super, all it requires is an elbow on the pressure port of the Super hydraulic pump. This was a Ford part as Ford did not offer Power Major or Fordson Major pumps as an option after the introduction of the Super Major. I had a dealer friend who hated the Super Hydraulics and we had endless arguments about them with both him and his customers. He replaced all Super lifts with Power Major ones when the tractors were brand new.

The early Super Majors from 1960 to 1963 were basically a Power Major with dif. lock, disc brakes and Draft/Position control hydraulics.

Majorman...you win the name game on this forum🙂
Thanks for your reply, both.
What I hear is the diff lock, with the standard pedal (I read about some diesel and power majors getting aftermarket diff locks) is a clear identifier. But also the hydraulics could be made to have the daft control again (realistically I would never need to plow much, but nice to know 😁)

Maybe you know, the 2-stage clutch is standard on all super majors?. Also the ones with headlights on the outside of the grill, and not the 3 big ribs going horizonal across the grill

I have never heard of being able to install a dif. lock on a Power or Fordson Major Diesel, you would have to have the whole interior of the back end and disc brakes to make it work. On the E27N Major an after market Darlington Dif. lock could be fitted but that was very unusual. As far as Draft control goes, you again would have to have a new (s/hand) hydraulic lift, pipe work, rear rocker for the top link and an Auxiliary Service Chest as well. Not really viable. Unfortunately, my friend, who had a couple of aircraft hangers full of lifts and other spares has passed away and all was sold off at his sale or on the web a few years ago. He was also in Australia.

Ah well, not a small job reversing the hydraulic

But anyway, thanks for your information both😁

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back