Help Identify old Fordson 1920-1940ish Maybe a N?

KRAO

New User
Cast iron Patent plaque on dash has May 23, 1922 as its last patent, so it is at least a 1922. Number on block is 1535 with a number 9 under it. It has petcocks for engine oil level, not a dipstick. It has a AT4 American Bosch mag 1CFD. There is a groove in rear axle housings for fenders which I read meant 1920 or later. There were two tractors on the property, and I am sure parts were swapped. Are the rear wheels stock? I have another set of heavy lug steel wheels that came with, but requires fender removal. I also have three fuel tanks. One Detroit, one England , and one junk. The England is dual fuel. I would like to install the proper tank. These tractors were located in California, so a English model is a stretch? Or not?

Attachments

• IMG_6536.jpeg
    IMG_6536.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6404.jpeg
    IMG_6404.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6403.jpeg
    IMG_6403.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6402.jpeg
    IMG_6402.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6401.jpeg
    IMG_6401.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6400.jpeg
    IMG_6400.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 36
I am in no way an expert on the early Fordsons but, looking at your tractor it seems you have parts missing. There is no air cleaner. Also with the throttle under the steering wheel it looks like an "F" rather than an "N". It could be a late model "F" with the "anti-overturn" rear wings. I have attached a picture of some of the first batch
Wrights stand 1929 2.jpg
of tractors that came in 1929 when Ford restarted production in Cork, Ireland after ceasing tractor production in the US in 1924 or thereabouts.

It looks all-American to me. The water-wash air-cleaner is missing. The carb looks like it is from a Model A car.
The usual Ford coils and timer have been replaced by an aftermarket Bosch magneto. A fairly common conversion.
The rear wheels are cut-offs, converted to rubber-tired rims. Also quite common. The all steel wheels are more like
the originals, though most have diagonal cleats instead of "spikes". Both available.
I don't know what to say about the fenders. May have been retro-fitted.
The English tractors used an external magneto, a governor, and a down-draft carburetor. Some, if not most, used a
two cap fuel tank. Gasoline for starting, kerosene for working. They also used a water pump.

Serial numbers on the right front of engine block . If legible, will give year .
fenders are square doors 1924 to 1925 approximately then went to pie door.
hope this helps .
does fueal tank say henfy ford and son or ford motors company?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back