Help/How To Guide

Good Evening Everyone!

We are building out a "How To" guide to assist everyone with the new forum software. This is a work in progress but wanted to share the link with you - https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/index.php/help. You can also find this by navigating to Resources->Help. More to come! If you have suggestions for content, please let us know by replying to this thread.
A couple things I think of, they might be obvious to some, but not all.

Information/instructions on posting pictures/attachments. Getting pictures posted properly seemed to be a hang up in the past.

Use of "conversations" (aka PM).

How to contact YT Support with questions and issues (not just rambling in a post) Maybe even a fill in form with required info to help solve the issue

Use of the ability to include one's location in their profile. Should there be a level that is too detailed, such as getting down to street address and number?

Dos and Don't of posting emails and phone numbers

Meanings of user titles (new member, member, regular, etc.)

Just some thoughts
Jim

Edited to add User Titles

Information/instructions on posting pictures/attachments. Getting pictures posted properly seemed to be a hang up in the past.

How to contact YT Support with questions and issues (not just rambling in a post) Maybe even a fill in form with required info to help solve the issue

Use of the ability to include one's location in their profile. Should there be a level that is too detailed, such as getting down to street address and number?

Just some thoughts
Jim

I especially like your comment about meanings of new titles. How did I get to be Regular instead of well-known?

Just some thoughts
Jim

Another one is explaining how the "follow" and "ignore" functions work

I especially like your comment about meanings of new titles. How did I get to be Regular instead of well-known?
They are based on posts on record count, as the old titles were. I don't know what the break numbers are.

I think the new titles are better suited than the old expert and guru, since they are quantity gauges, not quality. JMHO

Use of "conversations" (aka PM0
More important to some is how to turn it off.

What good is PM used for.
So you can tell me in private how to fix xyz part on my tractor.
That does the forum no good.
So you and me can argue in private.
So you and me can talk about another poster behind his back.
And the list goes on.

You got something to say post it.
You want to talk in private get my email address.

Good Evening Everyone!

We are building out a "How To" guide to assist everyone with the new forum software. This is a work in progress but wanted to share the link with you - https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/index.php/help. You can also find this by navigating to Resources->Help. More to come! If you have suggestions for content, please let us know by replying to this thread.

Please.....The link in your post should be a Sticky in every forum category.

I bet 91.7% of all members never look at more than five sections, and 99% never look in Site Comments.

And the list goes on.

I think PMs have their place (though it's not that easy to come up with a valid place at the moment), but I generally agree. I've told people even on the old system that when someone contacts them personally, it usually means they are afraid to post in public. It's a strange phenomenon and obviously hurts all the other people who are going to ask the same question and puts the burden on one person to respond for an entire forum. It may seem rude, but the only thing to do is to tell someone "Please ask your question in the so and so forum so others may help with your answer.".

I totally agree on the argument issue. The ignore function might apply but I don't think so. If someone does that, they are violating the rules of the forums which discourage argument (as opposed to discussion of pros and cons of a topic). If someone is using a PM to argue, they are skirting the rules so their attacks on you are veiled from everyone else. Not responding but just reporting is appropriate in that case because depending on the severity, it's bannable.

Frankly, I too would prefer to be able to flip off private contacts when someone wants to. Perhaps that's possible on an individual basis and we just haven't found the knob to turn to make it happen. You can do almost anything with this software, but that doesn't mean we've identified the way to do it.

Frankly, I too would prefer to be able to flip off private contacts when someone wants to. Perhaps that's possible on an individual basis and we just haven't found the knob to turn to make it happen. You can do almost anything with this software, but that doesn't mean we've identified the way to do it.
I think the second choice from the bottom in "Privacy" settings pretty much fits.
Screenshot_2023-12-31-14-02-03.png

Also - what is "Reaction Score" ? What's the range? Is 0 good or just average? Can it be -ve?? Does is get re-evaluated periodically? Am I the react-er or react-ee? I'm reminded of a sign at old workplace (and a bygone age) it read "Sxxual harassment will not be tolerated - however it will be graded". Love the "how to" - I'll keep an eye on that. Many Thanks.
The XX is because there seems to be an AI censor that is real uptight !?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:

And the list goes on.

1. Some forums do not allow buying and selling between members. You can PM each other and do your deals privately.

2. Private conversations between two or three members do not need to be out there for the rest of the world to see. (People do have friendly conversations--we don't all just argue with each other!)

3. Not everyone wants their email out there for all to see. If you want to exchange emails through PM's, go ahead and do it.

Just some thoughts.

Please.....The link in your post should be a Sticky in every forum category.

I bet 91.7% of all members never look at more than five sections, and 99% never look in Site Comments.
I think we need to do something about that, it's always been a problem. I was thinking of creating a How To sticky we can use to put simple bitesize hot-tos so that the clear steps are seen since all are identical on this, the old, and every other forum on the net. Then if we can direct people to that, it might help. Things like "How to Start a new thread.".

I think the second choice from the bottom in "Privacy" settings pretty much fits.
View attachment 735
Not to beat a dead horse BUT.

I have nobody under conversation yet someone contacted me with the little mail icon next to my name.
I have show online status unchecked yet I can see my name under members online list.
I like a lot of similar people are just having a hard time understanding this new system.

And while we are discussing settings.
This is what the old web site font looked like.
No black background with white letters.
Just a font size dark enough you could read.
And then the font size and contrast of the new site.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-31 165653ggggggggggggggggggggg.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 165653ggggggggggggggggggggg.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2023-12-31 165505lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 165505lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.png
    163 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2023-12-31 170146font1.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 170146font1.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2023-12-31 170545font2.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 170545font2.png
    135.5 KB · Views: 13
I have nobody under conversation yet someone contacted me with the little mail icon next to my name.
I have show online status unchecked yet I can see my name under members online list.
I like a lot of similar people are just having a hard time understanding this new system.

And while we are discussing settings.
This is what the old web site font looked like.
No black background with white letters.
Just a font size dark enough you could read.
And then the font size and contrast of the new site.
Maybe the conversation was there before you turned on Nobody? Check time stamp.
Who sent it? I suspect Admin can overide in order to reach you. IDK
You user name is ghosted, you see the ghost text but nobody sees you in that list at all.

The other font and background issues are on the list to be addressed by admin I Believe.
Those might even become customizable by the user but again IDK for sure how it will be addressed by admin.
They have are working on many issues of concern brought up by many others as best they can.
Patience is a virtue.

Maybe the conversation was there before you turned on Nobody? Check time stamp.
Who sent it? I suspect Admin can overide in order to reach you. IDK
You user name is ghosted, you see the ghost text but nobody sees you in that list at all.

The other font and background issues are on the list to be addressed by admin I Believe.
Those might even become customizable by the user but again IDK for sure how it will be addressed by admin.
They have are working on many issues of concern brought up by many others as best they can.
Patience is a virtue.
Thanks Double07

I got a message from George this morning.
I did go back after that and uncheck recheck everything and save again to try and make sure I had everything correct.
I must have done something different or correctly this time that you can not message me now.

While I am voicing my opinion; maybe loudly by some peoples standards I am really more looking for help to understand this new system rather than bad mouthing the system like some others are doing.
So please bear with me as I try to work through this.

YT is the only chat site I visit.
I am not on faceplant or any other site mostly because I understood the classic view and had trouble with the modern view sites.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back