Hart Parr 19-36 hard to put in gear

I just purchased a Hart Parr 18-36. Did some carb work and got it running nicely. But it grinds when I try to put it in any gear, even if I idle low. Keep in mind the clutch appears to engage and disengage when I pull the clutch lever or push it forward. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking it was stored with the clutch engaged and it's a little stuck. What happens with the tractor off and in gear, clutch disengaged, and you hand crank it a little? Does it want to move?

Do those have a pilot bearing or a brass bushing? Sounds like whichever one it is, it's binding up and keeping the shaft turning.

I just purchased a Hart Parr 18-36. Did some carb work and got it running nicely. But it grinds when I try to put it in any gear, even if I idle low. Keep in mind the clutch appears to engage and disengage when I pull the clutch lever or push it forward. Any suggestions?
Also the clutch disks could be stuck on the input shaft and not floating.

I'm thinking it was stored with the clutch engaged and it's a little stuck. What happens with the tractor off and in gear, clutch disengaged, and you hand crank it a little? Does it want to move?
Thanks for your reply Scootergmc. When I finally pulled it out of the barn into bright sunlight yesterday I noticed the throwout bearing had 2 grease zerks. They were bone dry when I pumped grease in. I worked the clutch back and forth. Gave it a whirl and problem solved. It runs great, but a little smokey.

Do those have a pilot bearing or a brass bushing? Sounds like whichever one it is, it's binding up and keeping the shaft turning.
Well rrlund, you were on the right track. When I got it outside into brighter light, I see the throwout bearing was dry looking, along with some surface rust on the shaft that the bearing travels on. I cleaned it up, put grease into the bearing zerks, and problem solved. Thanks!

Also the clutch disks could be stuck on the input shaft and not floating.
I got it outside and now I could see better that the throw out bearing was dry. I put grease into those 2 zerks, along with a little grease on that shaft and now she engages and disengages just fine. Thanks!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back