Garden Plowing

LMack

I know it might be that I am a little cranky, but these guys posting on social media on how to plow, how to plant, how to cultivate, etc. and it becomes obvious that they haven't plowed 10 acres in their entire lives gets to me. They might be planting sweet corn using an old Cole or Covington plate planter in CREAPER gear. It might be best that they do not have much to plant or plow . . . they never would get it done. All I can say is, if you are going to present yourself as knowing what you are doing, then at least know what you are doing. I need to avoid watching because I will just get frustrated and say something I will later regret.

I know it might be that I am a little cranky, but these guys posting on social media on how to plow, how to plant, how to cultivate, etc. and it becomes obvious that they haven't plowed 10 acres in their entire lives gets to me. They might be planting sweet corn using an old Cole or Covington plate planter in CREAPER gear. It might be best that they do not have much to plant or plow . . . they never would get it done. All I can say is, if you are going to present yourself as knowing what you are doing, then at least know what you are doing. I need to avoid watching because I will just get frustrated and say something I will later regret.
Yep

No longer farming at the commercial scale but have fun with the oversized garden that some would call a farm.

Downsized from the big IH rollover plow to a rototiller and sometimes a little Brinly-Hardy plow.

the IH plow scoured quickly and easy to adjust for a good plow — never could get the Brinly to shine up like the IH. But then I don’t spend all day plowing with the Brinly like I did with the IH.

Small size of the Brinley setup - hp, weight, etc made it a challenge to get it to get a good plow.

Yes sanded, painted and polished the plow to make it slide through the ground. It helped but never got it to plow close to what the IH could do. Just different classes of equipment.

The tiny Cole plate planter that Brinly sold is a fantastic planter for the tiny amount of sweet corn I now plane. The angle of the plate and small hopper lets me accurately plant just a handful of seed.

I do get a kick out of the posts. When you use the equipment day after day — year after year and talk to other farmers — every noise, vibration and look at the finished product tells you what to adjust. You don’t get that from planting 10 feet of corn once a year.

Just shake your head and give a chuckle.

When I was young My dad made me jump on the planter early in the am after going out with my friends the night before. Got made fun of for the next year as the rows looked like how I was feeling.

When everyone has the opportunity to self determine their knowledge accuracy, and decide it is fundamental to other's to learn it, the value of that "shared" information becomes worthless. Give a person a soap box and stand far back. Jim

Yep, Jim, it's the woke generation. Everyone's opinion is just as good as anyone else's - no matter the experience and education level. Just flap your mouth. When, why and how did we get to such a ridiculous place?

Yep, Jim, it's the woke generation. Everyone's opinion is just as good as anyone else's - no matter the experience and education level. Just flap your mouth. When, why and how did we get to such a ridiculous place?
Misinformation and the, now available, ability to speak ones mind even if not espousing best practices or ethical behavior is rampant, I would ask you to avoid the ill-defined and politically charged term in your post. Jim

We're talking about plowing videos here, not the subversion of society...

I've seen a lot of terrible plowing jobs on youtube over the years. Sometimes they're proud of the job they did. Occasionally they will try to pass it off like they're an expert on the subject.

Seems like the older folks get, the more they need to be reminded that they didn't pop out of the womb with the skills and knowledge they currently possess. If only your fathers were around. I'm sure they have some hilarious stories about the horrible plowing jobs y'all did the first time you got put in the seat of a tractor and sent out to the field.

Most of 'em are just doing the best they can with what they have. They don't have someone to show them how, and they don't have acres and acres of land to figure it out. It's going to look awful and they're probably never going to get it figured out. If they're enjoying themselves, and not hurting anyone else, where is the harm? They're keeping the old equipment alive.

I have done a lot of plowing, from steel wheel to semi-mount but I don't plow my garden anymore. I put it away in the fall by pulling an S-tine cultivator over it, put down a layer of manure and leaves, then run it over a couple times in the spring with the S-tine. Not pulling dirt to one end or side to side, leaves a level and smooth seed bed, ready to plant and with no hard pan. Open 2-16' gates on both ends, run straight through and back....James

I never said I felt somehow superior to these guys recording their efforts. I watched just to be reminded of days gone by because I still love to see the old equipment work. If they wanted some input from those of us that used the old equipment instead of acting like they have figured it all out, then maybe we would have a starting point. I am very well retired at this point and for the fun of it I still use a 200 to work about .1 acres of garden and that is getting to be too much. I think that this spring I will get someone to video all my prep, planting and cultivating work just show how it can be done. NAH! I would open myself up to you guys when you see all the things I do wrong, and I am too old and cranky for that. :) Some guys in the next town (in the same county) plant a couple of fields of sweet corn (I would guess 6 or 8 acres, could be more) for market using a MF and old Covington plate planter mounted on a Pittsburg frame two rows at a time. Thing is that they looked like they knew what they were doing, and they did not use low gear.

At least folks are still using the old equipment and trying to learn.
We're talking about plowing videos here, not the subversion of society...

I've seen a lot of terrible plowing jobs on youtube over the years. Sometimes they're proud of the job they did. Occasionally they will try to pass it off like they're an expert on the subject.

Seems like the older folks get, the more they need to be reminded that they didn't pop out of the womb with the skills and knowledge they currently possess. If only your fathers were around. I'm sure they have some hilarious stories about the horrible plowing jobs y'all did the first time you got put in the seat of a tractor and sent out to the field.

Most of 'em are just doing the best they can with what they have. They don't have someone to show them how, and they don't have acres and acres of land to figure it out. It's going to look awful and they're probably never going to get it figured out. If they're enjoying themselves, and not hurting anyone else, where is the harm? They're keeping the old equipment alive.
Barnyard.....Thank you! Best reply!

Attachments

• 873.png
    873.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
When everyone has the opportunity to self determine their knowledge accuracy, and decide it is fundamental to other's to learn it, the value of that "shared" information becomes worthless. Give a person a soap box and stand far back. Jim
Wonderfully said, Jim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back