Ford 800 value

Buenymayor

New User
Dad has a late 800 tractor that he'd like to sell. I'm thinking it is fairly rare as it has a diesel engine that runs/starts good, has power steering, and a SoS transmission that's seems solid. Tires aren't anything special, but they all hold air. Tin work is pretty good, but it has surface rust. The grill is dinged up a bit, but not terrible. I'd have to look tonight to see how the fenders are, but I don't remember them being in too bad of shape. It's a really straight tractor. I'll see if I can get some pictures tonight and posts them. Anyone has an idea of approximate value? Located in SE Indiana.

Diesel and SOS make it a 801. If it coasts in 5th and has a hash marked gears early transmission. Poor tires, diesel, and SOS decrease value for most people.

Dad has a late 800 tractor that he'd like to sell. I'm thinking it is fairly rare as it has a diesel engine that runs/starts good, has power steering, and a SoS transmission that's seems solid. Tires aren't anything special, but they all hold air. Tin work is pretty good, but it has surface rust. The grill is dinged up a bit, but not terrible. I'd have to look tonight to see how the fenders are, but I don't remember them being in too bad of shape. It's a really straight tractor. I'll see if I can get some pictures tonight and posts them. Anyone has an idea of approximate value? Located in SE Indiana.
Pictures will help but I agree with ErnieD.

PS and remote valve(s) will help.

Diesel and SOS make it a 801. If it coasts in 5th and has a hash marked gears early transmission. Poor tires, diesel, and SOS decrease value for most people.
Ditto! '01 Series released power steering as a standard feature. S-O-S would depend on how well it works. If in need of work, walk away. Much based on trying to put a price tag on a web site, but good pictures are a good start.

tpd

I couldn't read the S/N or get a good picture of it, but here are a couple shots if I can get them to work.

Attachments

• 800 dash.jpg
    800 dash.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 800 front left.jpg
    800 front left.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 800 front.jpg
    800 front.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 800 rear.jpg
    800 rear.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 800 shifter.jpg
    800 shifter.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 800 right.jpg
    800 right.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 83
Those pictures are definitely of a diesel 801 with an S-O-S transmission. Some folks love the S-O-S and others hate them. Looks like it was painted gold to look like a Gold Demonstrator at some point. Only the serial number would tell us if it's in the proper serial number range to actually be one. That might make it more valuable to a collector, but not necessarily.

Looks like there is S71 stamped underneath where the S/N should be, with a D under that. On top of the pad, the best I can make out is 1132 or 1152. I doubt that tells anyone anything, though. I'll have to get dad or Uncle Jim out here.

S71 is most likely 871, which would be the specific model in the 801 series. The 7 in the middle digit of the model number says that it has the S-O-S transmission with the single speed 540 rpm PTO. The D means that it has a diesel engine. 1132 or 1152 would be the serial number, which is a very early '01 serial number from 1957, and they didn't start making the S-O-S transmission until 1959, so there is probably another digit before or after the 4 digits that you found. There should also be a diamond shaped character, like <>, before and after the full serial number.

No, you don't have a 'rare' model unless it is an original Gold Demonstrator like Sean says, and Golds did not not come out until JAN 1959. .01 Series w/ SOS is pretty common in gas and diesel. S/N defined as shown in diagram. Look closer for your s/n. Golds began with s/n 60949. A Gold Demo would add value. Can look behind dash and other tucked away spots for signs of gold paint too. Most GOLDS were 881 Models. 1957 '01 Series began with s/n 1001.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• FORD TRACTOR GOLD DEMO VINTAGE PHOTO DEMO DAY.jpg
    FORD TRACTOR GOLD DEMO VINTAGE PHOTO DEMO DAY.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 30
  • FORD TRACTOR 801 GOLD DEMO SOS 1.jpg
    FORD TRACTOR 801 GOLD DEMO SOS 1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 22
  • FORD TRACTOR SERIAL NMBER ID 54-64.jpg
    FORD TRACTOR SERIAL NMBER ID 54-64.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
  • FORD TRACTOR SERIAL NUMBER ID 60-65.jpg
    FORD TRACTOR SERIAL NUMBER ID 60-65.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
Those power adjust rims are about the only thing of value about that tractor, unless you call rusted gray gold. It is neither rare nor desirable. Ford flooded the market with them in 1958 with production starting in Sept. of 1957.

Those power adjust rims are about the only thing of value about that tractor, unless you call rusted gray gold. It is neither rare nor desirable. Ford flooded the market with them in 1958 with production starting in Sept. of 1957.
As I said earlier, while the '01 series started when you said, the S-O-S models didn't come out until 1959.

Unless I can get the S/N, I guess we won't know the year. We did have the hood off a couple years ago and I remember seeing 11-59 or 11-60 embossed in the radiator, so I assume that is November of '59 or '60. But the radiator could have been changed at some point, too. Question still stands.... what's a fair market value for it?

Unless I can get the S/N, I guess we won't know the year. We did have the hood off a couple years ago and I remember seeing 11-59 or 11-60 embossed in the radiator, so I assume that is November of '59 or '60. But the radiator could have been changed at some point, too. Question still stands.... what's a fair market value for it?
Any number on the radiator means nothing - don't use it to ID tractor s/n by...

If you wan to ID your serial number, do this:

Take some Naval Jelly or other paint remover and clean off the boss on starter where the s/n is. DO NOT USE ANYTHING ABRASIVE like a file, sandpaper, grinder, wire brush or Emory cloth. With area exposed to bare metal now, take a piece of white chalk and roll it over the area to highlight the numbers. That should bring out the serial number for you. If not, option #2 is to Magna-Flux the area. You need a Black LIght then to shine on area. Should see any numbers clearly now.

Tim Daley (MI)

Put a load on the three point see if it raises and lowers properly and holds overnight. Post oil pressure when first started, and then get it HOT, NOT SITTING IDLING, and post what the pressure is then. Post compression. Put a load on the PTO post how it starts the load and how it holds the load with the transmission and hydraulic oil HOT from WORKING. Check over and post whatever oil or coolant leaks it has. Drive and shift through all speeds advise how it shifts. There's a start for you.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back