Farmall Super A UMF / bean pulling issue

kal52

New User
Hello, I set up my Farmall Super A last year to pull beans using bean knives/pullers but am running into an issue with the entire UMF lifting up on the right side when running in the soil. It seems that the resistance of the puller knives is enough to lift up the entire UMF. I didn't experience this when cultivating earlier in the season. The photo below shows what i mean -- you can see the toolbar is at an angle to the frame.

My question is whether this is just the result of trying to give the UMF too much resistance, or if there are adjustments or tightening up of the UMF that might prevent this. My puller set up is a modified one, but I do know (from another poster on this forum) that 2 row pullers were made for the Super A, so i would think that this problem hopefully is fixable rather than an inherent limitation of the Super A UMF.

Also ignore the weeds and small bean plants! We had a historically wet summer last year in the Northeast and this was a wetter field.

IMG_9472.JPG
IMG_9471.JPG

Hello, I set up my Farmall Super A last year to pull beans using bean knives/pullers but am running into an issue with the entire UMF lifting up on the right side when running in the soil. It seems that the resistance of the puller knives is enough to lift up the entire UMF. I didn't experience this when cultivating earlier in the season. The photo below shows what i mean -- you can see the toolbar is at an angle to the frame.

My question is whether this is just the result of trying to give the UMF too much resistance, or if there are adjustments or tightening up of the UMF that might prevent this. My puller set up is a modified one, but I do know (from another poster on this forum) that 2 row pullers were made for the Super A, so i would think that this problem hopefully is fixable rather than an inherent limitation of the Super A UMF.

Also ignore the weeds and small bean plants! We had a historically wet summer last year in the Northeast and this was a wetter field.

View attachment 65243View attachment 65245
My (non Ben puller) suggestion is to look at the cutters while on concrete and make sure the right blades are at the same (self sucking) downward angle as the good one. Jim

I will state first off that I have never had any experience whatsoever with a bean puller, but some 1 row Farmall ideas come to mind. First off....are both bean rows cultivated to the same final finished bed height ? If not I could see where it could dig deeper on one side or the other depending on how much draft was being applied to the implement. # 2....does the front cultivator lift raise and lower level with each side, including the front to rear adjustment on the turnbuckle yokes ? It may be necessary to drop one side down some on the down pressure springs ( right side ? ) and try to work the field in a consistent land where the same side of the tractor is always facing the finished side of the field for consistency purposes. This last statement holds true when cultivating if the rows are plowed as one beside the next, versus plow one, skip one, to keep the tractor and cultivators level.

First welcome to YT forum and our parts "mom" PartsASAP. I notice the shank on the right tool is maybe 4 inches above the U-bolts that grip it,
this may factor in as well. Jim

Living in and around the edible bean country all my life so far it has become about a wash on pulling versus direct cutting them. So I would guess Why pull them when you can just direct cut them with a flex head and they have some pretty small flex heads around down to about 13 feet. And will probably not lose much if any more than you do pulling them then windrowing them and then turning the windrow to get it dry to thresh. We used to pull 4 rows back when with the Cat with a front mounted home made puller and a rake behind to make a windrow then would put 2 of those 4 row windrows together with another separate raking and thresh 8 total rows at a time. This was 50-60 years ago now. IF I was to plant edible beans again I would probably try to bed them on a ridge so I could just cut direct with a flex head they will cut down to about an inch from the ground if set up . Otherwise I believe leveling your machine on level ground where you can see the knives setting and look at the linkage for looseness in joints and if one is raising more than the other before going further with use. These must have been pictures from last fall I would gather since beans would be just working ground or waiting for it to dry out to do so now in the northeast.

Agree with Janicholson, start by checking puller blade attack angle. If the blades are shimmed make sure shims
are installed to increase angle, really frustrating to find someone put them in backwards. If no shims are installed
put some on. Square tubing of puller frame makes a great place to hang weights. Add weights until blade stays in the ground.
Are both blades same condition/make ? Some blades just work better than others.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back