Farmall H coolant leak

Randy McC

'43 H with a coolant leak at back of block at the clutch tube. Pulled the oil pan, no sign of coolant inside block and around cylinders. Replaced 2 welch/freeze plug at back of block, still a leak. Is there a second freeze plug at rear of engine? Parts book shows a plug at camshft but I figure it is for oil not coolant. Thought I would seek advice because if there is a second plug I will have to split tractor.

Two plugs for sealing coolant on a 43 H behind steel plate on rear of engine and one in front of block inside cover. At a later serial number than a 1943 the blocks didn't use the plugs.

Odd that you pulled the oil pan to look for an external coolant leak? Describe the leak more where do you see it? Your description of what you have done is not real clear. To me it is not real clear where you put the two expansion plugs you have already installed. Did you have the tractor split already and replace the plugs behind the plate DSlater talks about? The first link is the best picture of the back of a block with expansion plugs that I could find.
The only other possibility is that one of the top set of bolts in from the back has been bottomed out and broke through to the water jacket, but I have never heard of this. The 2nd link for another block for sale shows the back of the engine in the 2nd picture.
Block with 3 plugs on back

back view for bolt holes

Thank you for your help. Since there more expansion plugs in back of the block I will need to split the tractor. I have replaced only one plug, which is shiny and new in the first picture. The location of the coolant leak is shown in the second picture. FYI, I pulled the oil pan just to be sure nothing else was going on.
cvphoto157980.jpg

cvphoto157981.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back