fairbanks morse model 41

tuneup

New User
This message is a reply to an archived post by rick872 on August 10, 2018 at 14:23:58.
The original subject was Re: Fairbanks Morse model 41.

5 years ago I posted about a Fairbanks Morse type 41 water pump. I have looked on and off for 5 years now finding almost no information and no parts but now it's time to get this cool old pump restored or at least working again. I have spent the week taking it apart and cleaning. I had no idea of just how bad of shape this pump is in. I struggle all day to just get one simple part removed. Today I removed the 1 1/2 plug in the front of the pump along with 3 pipe nipples. It took lots and lots of heat and a huge vise to hold it while a 6 foot cheater was on the wrench to get it to crack the almost welded together pipe thread. after several attempt and a good friend with a machine shop, we got it out!
I am pleased to say that the bolt holding the top and bottom together came out without incidence. The inside valve plate is one lump of rust and calcium. I can hardly believe that it even worked at all.
good news is that it can be cleaned and repaired.
hopefully I can still contact rick872 about his experiences with his pump.
Thanks Rex

when I first cracked it open, I dumped out over 1/2 cup of rusty debris, holy smokes, today I took out another 3/4 cup.
cvphoto147799.jpg

the valve plate was so plugged with hard water, rust and deris that the springs could hardly bee seen. good news, the springs were still intact and whole. the rubbers were hard as a rock and the plate was almost covered. the gaskets were also had, and broken.
It took 3 days of soaking in a mild acid, lots of chipping with a putty knife and a lot of use of the brass wire brush.
I rejuvenated the rubber disc with alcohol and wintergreen oils. they turned out really well.
mvphoto102615.jpg

mvphoto102617.jpg

this is the cap and shaft going into the oil end. It has a hole the size of a nickle to have a shaft 1/4 in fit in it. The shaft connects to the top (front)of the piston. This leaves a huge hole for air and dust to enter the piston calendar. I would think that some fiber washer would be there to help filter the air as the piston moves back the first 1/8 inch before it passes the bypass ports to the back of the gear case.
Does anyone have an answer to the missing fiber filter or why this hole is so big?
Thanks Rex
mvphoto102619.jpg

mvphoto102620.jpg

Your valve parts look great. Have you looked at the piston yet?

I have the same pump and opened it this weekend. The valves seem OK but could use the same treatment.

I was able to get the piston out as well but am not sure how to rebuild it.

I found 2 rebuild kits that look close.

523-0010 Fairbank Morse 200
and
523-0011 Fairbank Morse 250

My measurement is between the 1 1/8 diameter of the 200 and the 1 1/4 of the 250.

Any hints?

Dean

This post was edited by [email protected] on 12/05/2023 at 04:18 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back