Duplicate threads

Scott 730

Are duplicate threads allowed here?? In the past several days there have been a few new threads started in multiple categories. Asking for a friend.

Last edited:
Are duplicate threads allowed here?? In the past several days there have been a few threads started in multiple categories. Asking for a friend.
I can't say I have seen anything that says it is not allowed and I have seen such ever since I joined. It would be less confusing if people would post once in the correct forum, such as the forum for the brand they are asking about, rather than "shotgunning" two or more forums. It is even better when they change the info a bit each time they post in a different forum. My guess is there is likely some hope of getting instant answers if they post it on several forums for more exposure. I think it would be hard to police. To me, courtesy would be not to do it.

Some individuals do not realize they don't have to "edit" their original post, and can, instead, just add to the original thread, as one does when adding comments to a thread, such as this comment.

Keeping everything in one thread does help tremendously for current viewers, as well as those who will search for a problem and solution in the future.

Duplicate threads on one forum is aggravating, but posting on multiple forums is even more so, as some answers on one forum don't get seen on the others, and the different forum users might have different, but appropriate, solutions to a question. zuhnc

My question is what does he propose be done about it? In my opinion it would seem a bit stand-off-ish if the rules said or more like YT posted a statement saying “Welcome, we would like you to post anything you like within the subject matters. But by golly don’t try posting the same thing in multiple forums.” I have even seen long time members do this. My thought is it is best handled when this comes up by the occasional friendly reply. The reply including something like, multiple post on the same subject can be confusing and really do not suit “forum response” as well as all info captured in the same spot.
It seems this topic has veered off a bit, more towards a subject on “update or revisiting” a topic. Mine being the 5th reply the 3 that have replied are fairly new members. I am guessing they were not Classic View users. I used Classic view mostly because I liked the way links posted there, long topics were viewed entirely without going into pages and being able to follow who replied to who. I was not opposed to Modern I occasionally used it. I probably missed quite a bit of follow-ups to posts I replied to or had an interest in because of that choice. Anyway, for the majority of users that are in the habit of starting a new post as an “update” comes from being indoctrinated by Classic. There a reply did not “refresh” a topic, so going back to their old post and adding the update others they probably wanted to see the post would have no way to know anything was added. I also suppose the “Classic” gang are all running the “Last post first” option in the new format so I believe it acts the same way. If something is added to an old post it does not “reset or come to the top” Also they probably don’t realize how easy it is to find their old posts in the event they would actually want to go back an add to it. All you do is click your profile at the top and click the number by “Messages” and bingo, there is your posting history. Well that is my “blip” for today. One of the members that replied here has already suggested I am wasting my “breath” or wearing down my finger tips with no likely changes on these subjects. Have a good day! Back to the drywall sanding.

My question is what does he propose be done about it? In my opinion it would seem a bit stand-off-ish if the rules said or more like YT posted a statement saying “Welcome, we would like you to post anything you like within the subject matters. But by golly don’t try posting the same thing in multiple forums.” I have even seen long time members do this. My thought is it is best handled when this comes up by the occasional friendly reply. The reply including something like, multiple post on the same subject can be confusing and really do not suit “forum response” as well as all info captured in the same spot.
It seems this topic has veered off a bit, more towards a subject on “update or revisiting” a topic. Mine being the 5th reply the 3 that have replied are fairly new members. I am guessing they were not Classic View users. I used Classic view mostly because I liked the way links posted there, long topics were viewed entirely without going into pages and being able to follow who replied to who. I was not opposed to Modern I occasionally used it. I probably missed quite a bit of follow-ups to posts I replied to or had an interest in because of that choice. Anyway, for the majority of users that are in the habit of starting a new post as an “update” comes from being indoctrinated by Classic. There a reply did not “refresh” a topic, so going back to their old post and adding the update others they probably wanted to see the post would have no way to know anything was added. I also suppose the “Classic” gang are all running the “Last post first” option in the new format so I believe it acts the same way. If something is added to an old post it does not “reset or come to the top” Also they probably don’t realize how easy it is to find their old posts in the event they would actually want to go back an add to it. All you do is click your profile at the top and click the number by “Messages” and bingo, there is your posting history. Well that is my “blip” for today. One of the members that replied here has already suggested I am wasting my “breath” or wearing down my finger tips with no likely changes on these subjects. Have a good day! Back to the drywall sanding.
Now there's a way to wear down your fingertips. I converted to the wet sponge method and never looked back. steve

Well this is a wall paper removal that peeled a bunch of paper off the board caper. Maybe I don’t know how to run one of them sponges but when I tried it all I did was wipe the skim coat I put on off. I probably should have hired it done, but then I probably couldn’t sleep in that bedroom knowing what kind of a crappy job they did. See I am OCD on drywall finishing.
IMG_3967.jpeg

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back