Disc size for 4020

Well, as for conditions, not many cornstalks in Alaska, mostly will be used behind the plow, though several others I know just disc to break up the sod on hay ground every 4-5 years, and never plow, that would probably be harder on the rig than broken ground. Mostly windblown glacial silt around here, some clay, but when the silt gets abit too damp it gets ugly.

I would not consider the JD 215 to be a very heavy disc, but certainly a lot more than the IH 37, but I am certainly still learning. Biggest reason I am tossing these questions around is because a lot of the equipment in interior Alaska where I am trying to get a start is either old, small equipment from the homesteader days of the 40`s and 50`s, and hence way to small for our 4010 or 4020, or equipment that was brought in when our state tried its ill-fated "barley project" of tens of thousands of state cleared, state subsidized grain fields in the 80`s, and most of that stuff is way to big for our tractors.

So I am stuck trying to find tillage equipment and other implements (we trucked all the major haying equipment from the states) sized for tracors that are kind of oddballs around here, but I also don`t want to buy a disc that will work my poor tractor to death.

Josh
Hey I'm a 3rd gen farmer in delta junction alaska we do hay

Hello Farmboy, welcome to YT! Get yourself a proper welcome and just introduce yourself in your own thread or “Discussion topic” Use the red Post thread button. Tell about what tractors you have particularly if they are pre 1990. How many acres of hay and what is you age. This will be far better then tacking your message on the the end of a 13 year old post. Again Welcome!

Pulled a 14' JD BW with about 200 lbs added weight to the rear gang with my 4020. Depending on the condition of the soil, chiseled, plowed, not worked since harvested, all make a big difference. Sold the disk a few years ago and have regretted it a few times but now use a 21' tandem behind my 4555 which is a good match.

Just looking for some opinions on how big of a disc most think a 4020 is well suited to pull. I realize soil type and condition affect it quite a bit, but I have heard lots of different answers. I`m already forming some opinions on my own, just wondering if others agree or disagree. I was looking at two discs an older fellow had today, and was floored when I asked about which tractor he used for each. He is pulling a 16` JD 215 with a dualled up 4440, and thinks I would be nuts for trying to pull it with a 4020, even dualled up, and he pulls his 10` IH 37 with his 4020 and thinks it is "about right".

Seems like overkill to me, and his soil is very similar to ours. Our 4020 doesn`t even know our old flexible JD KB 11` disc is behind it, even with weight on the disc.
10' IH 37, being just right is a joke. I have that disc and pull it with my '49 JD D w/o a problem.....just my experience.

I pull an 8' 370 with a 454 IH gas, just right. I pulled a 12' 370 with a 3020 and 4000 JD diesel. I pulled a 13'6" model 470 IH disk with a 706 Farmall diesel, first pass in old sod pasture. I pulled a 16' IHC 370 wing disk over wheat stubble with my 4020, 12' with the wings up was good for 1st pass. The 12' 370 was good for the 4020 and 4000 with a sprocket roller. 16' 480 IHC was just right with a 4240. I really liked that disk as I could pull it deep with the wings up at 12', 1st pass and then 16' wings down second pass....James

If you decide to use a chisel plow of rprimary tillage on sod get one with dics on the front to cut the sod . IF you don't it will be wads and gobs to try to drive over . I disked some hay ground right after a light rain and then chiseled and it was a lot easier to drive over with a disk. I have also pulled an old noctch in the tongue Deere Disk behind a 12 shank chisel with our 1466 with duals and there was a good bit of slippage doing so sure was a lot smoother for working with the disk behind the chisel in one pass.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back