D19 Diesel....

Goose

I have a D19 diesel that hasn't run for a year and a half. Last time it ran, it had been in my shop for some maintenance, and when I ran it out and parked it I thought it had a bit different sound. Then it wouldn't restart.

So far, I've changed the fuel filters, and cleaned the sediment bowl. Good fuel flow going into the injector pump. Starter spins it same as usual. It just won't start. Give it a shot of ether and it will fire a few times until the ether is dissipated. Am I overlooking something, or do I need to bite the bullet and see about having the pump rebuilt?

The tractor has been in the family for 50 years, and I can't remember the last time the pump was worked on.

I have a D19 diesel that hasn't run for a year and a half. Last time it ran, it had been in my shop for some maintenance, and when I ran it out and parked it I thought it had a bit different sound. Then it wouldn't restart.

So far, I've changed the fuel filters, and cleaned the sediment bowl. Good fuel flow going into the injector pump. Starter spins it same as usual. It just won't start. Give it a shot of ether and it will fire a few times until the ether is dissipated. Am I overlooking something, or do I need to bite the bullet and see about having the pump rebuilt?

The tractor has been in the family for 50 years, and I can't remember the last time the pump was worked on.
Oops, must have hit the wrong button, didn't realize this quote posted.

I remembered the fuel shut off worked backwards (Pulled out is run) on those and I thought it might be shut off but read the post and it appears it would not re-start a year and a half ago. Dead then, now add setting for a year and a half, it's not surprising it won't start now.

Crack the injection lines at the injectors and see if it is getting any fuel to the injectors when cranking.

Last edited:
Injection pump probably has stuck rotor plungers inside from setting. Any traces of water in fuel or bio diesel will make them stick quickly when setting unused awhile. I've been seeing a lot like that lately when tearing down pumps in for repair.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back