Curious about a couple of tool finds

Mike Fitz

I recently picked up this Twentieth Century welder for 20 dollars it seems to work I haven't tried welding with it, were these supposed to be any good? It looked neat so I thought I'd take a chance. I also got an about 3X6 welding table made out of a safe door with a Rockisland vice on it, does anyone know anything about these?Any answers will be appreciated, thanks Mike

Attachments

• IMG_4421.jpeg
    IMG_4421.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 260
  • IMG_4411.jpeg
    IMG_4411.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 267
Welder should have copper windings, I'm guessing mid 50's to mid 60's good AC welder. Googled vise, every thing I see says excellent unit but it does not take much to beat out Chijunk

I recently picked up this Twentieth Century welder for 20 dollars it seems to work I haven't tried welding with it, were these supposed to be any good? It looked neat so I thought I'd take a chance. I also got an about 3X6 welding table made out of a safe door with a Rockisland vice on it, does anyone know anything about these?Any answers will be appreciated, thanks Mike
I don't know much about the vise but it's a good old USA brand and from here it doesn't look like it's been abused.
It would help to know your shoe size so we could tell how big it is :)
The welder is another good old brand.
They were originally called Twentieth Century then changed to Century in the late 60s or early 70s. Made here in the Twin Cities.
Eventually swallowed up by Lincoln.
Leroy is right - yours probably made in the late 50s or early 60s.
If it works when you get it plugged in it will likely work forever.
I have a little newer one.
Mine still reminds me of my Aunt Kay's 1961 Ford Falcon. We called it the Thunder Chicken.
Nice scores - both of them.

Attachments

• 2023-06-10_08_06_29.jpg
    2023-06-10_08_06_29.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0777.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0777.JPG.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Just don't use it as an anvil, the jaws set in a groove and then are pinned to lock in place. The top lip will break out. Other than that a good vise. Welded one jaw back in.

Rock Island is a good vice. I have a big one dated 1901. I use it every day.

Vise is a good one. I’ve got one that was my Granddaddy’s. I don’t know exactly how old it is but it’s early 20th century for sure. I use it regularly on the Farm.

That is very similar to the welder that I learned to weld with, Dad bought it in about 57. I worked very well with basic AC rods, and I could use 7018 on the low setting. We sold it at the auction after dad died, as I had bought an Airco of about the same age for myself, and I'm still using it.

On the welder, the welder itself is probably rock solid but you need to look at the welding leads. Cracked insulation and corroded connections will make it not weld very well and lead wire is kind of expensive, but replacing leads will make an old welder weld like new.

It looks like a nice vice that hasn't been abused, Im sure it will be very handy. The welding cables look almost pristine and it came with extensions to make the close to 40' long, Ill probably never use them though, it has an unusual electrode clamp it will be interesting to try.

Attachments

• IMG_4440.jpeg
    IMG_4440.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
It looks like a nice vice that hasn't been abused, Im sure it will be very handy. The welding cables look almost pristine and it came with extensions to make the close to 40' long, Ill probably never use them though, it has an unusual electrode clamp it will be interesting to try.

I have one I bought about 1970 mine has a hi and low electrode connection it will run 7018 at a few more heat settings, mine will still run, but have not used in twenty years. Great unit for the time period

That's exactly how it works! Not my first choice but it is in nice shape and works well enough for my needs.Thanks

That's exactly how it works! Not my first choice but it is in nice shape and works well enough for my needs.Thanks
I actually like that type of clamp.
Stick the rod in, twist the handle and then bend the rod to whatever direction you want it.
Easier/quicker than getting the rod into the grooves on the type below.

Attachments

• 41320249402.jpg
    41320249402.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 6
The welder has a cool art deco vibe. I like it. 🙂

That was the first thing I noticed, and upon closer inspection it appeared to be as well built as it looks, a time when craftsmanship still mattered.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back