Cub starter question

Based on what you have stated so far it sounds like you have an open field winding. But to be sure, pick yourself up an IT manual for your tractor… they open up electrical components and outline some simple tests with a test light.
Thanks Fritz. The tractor came with an IT manual that covers several models including cubs. It's got a lot of helpful info but no exploded diagram of the starter. I do need to get more manuals for this tractor. Thanks for the help! Paul

Need test the armature on growler for short. Or with a volt ohm (3 test) and test field coils for ground .

From the photo of the armature , the commutator will need to be turned on a lathe to clean away the uneven wear. Then the mica insulation between the copper armature bars need to be under cut to serpar them . Do you have a lathe?
560 Dennis. Thanks the reply. While I don't have the equipment, your explanation helps me at just understand what needs to be done and why. It's kind of like a crash course in the problem on the problem and the repair. Paul

I have bought several used, good,original starters from JP tractor........ As for fixing yours, I don't have a clue, my wife repairs our starters, generators, carbs.......
Thanks grandpa love. I've bought several parts from these folks in the past. Nice people (Mr and Mrs) and great service. Thank you Paul

By stud, do you mean the lug on the switch, or the stud the switch contacts?
John m. Thanks for the reply. Yes. It's confusing. There are also a stud or terminal inside the starter housing as well. When testing I decided to just test between all of the different points. Paul

Hello. I have a 1961 Cub I bought it a few months ago. The starter didn't work, it came with hand crank! Fortunately it's pretty easy to start with the crank but I'd like to get the starter working properly. Today I removed the starter. All in all it looked pretty good I thought. I'm not 100% on what I'm looking at but it appears the brushes are in tact and making contact. The wires are all connected. The armature looks ok but I cleaned it up a bit. After I cleaned it and reassembled I bench tested using a 6 volt battery and jumper cables attached to the stud on the starter and to the starter housing and nothing happens. What steps can I take to try and repair? It's my first time through one of these. Thanks as always. Paul
I don't know if any of you will actually see this reply since I made several individual responses. I was able to take all of the replies from cleaning the armature by hand and testing continuity from point to point. After cleaning I noticed via my cheap test light that I was getting more and more connections. Last this I did was gently tighten the nut on the inside/underside of the starter switch. Long story short the starter works! I reinstalled and I now have an operational pull starter! Thank you all for another successful repair!

Suggest A book like Auto engines and electrical systems like this one from motor manual ( reference section at local public library). It will help you . I took some photos . Of illustrations.

Attachments

• IMG_5033.jpeg
    IMG_5033.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5034.jpeg
    IMG_5034.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5035.jpeg
    IMG_5035.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5036.jpeg
    IMG_5036.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5037.jpeg
    IMG_5037.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5038.jpeg
    IMG_5038.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5039.jpeg
    IMG_5039.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
I don't know if any of you will actually see this reply since I made several individual responses. I was able to take all of the replies from cleaning the armature by hand and testing continuity from point to point. After cleaning I noticed via my cheap test light that I was getting more and more connections. Last this I did was gently tighten the nut on the inside/underside of the starter switch. Long story short the starter works! I reinstalled and I now have an operational pull starter! Thank you all for another successful repair!
Thats exactly where I was going with my reply Paul. The issue is most likely the stud is wearing out causing the swtich to not make contact, OR the stud was twisted enough to break the connetions in the starter.

560 Dennis. Thanks the reply. While I don't have the equipment, your explanation helps me at just understand what needs to be done and why. It's kind of like a crash course in the problem on the problem and the repair. Paul
you’ll get it going ! Take your time. I agree with you not wanting to crank it , keep us info how it going .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back