Cotter Pin leak

Anonymous-0

Hi All,

Once again this will be a long post to give you as much info as I can.

1) bought 41 9N with bad ring gear last year, fixed the ring gear, did the pilot bearing, the input shaft seal, throwout bearing and clutch. She cranks fine now.

2) Had trouble starting her after the split, would only run on full choke. On advice of the board, rebuilt the carb. She starts now, runs pretty good with no choke (thanks all).

4) Changed the oil awhile ago when I did the plugs and wires, went with 20W50 (Castrol GTX) cause I"m in Northern NJ and that"s what I had a case of. Before I got her started, she sat for weeks without any oil leak under the engine.

5) After I had her running last weekend for about 15 minutes I"ve got a little oil slick under the engine about 3 inches wide and a foot or so long. It stretches from the oil drain plug to the cotter pin. Now I"ve had a big fluid leak in the back due to the infamous hitch pins... that"s my next job, but this one is new and seems like engine oil.

So, my questions are:

a) Should I be concerned? Is this just some blow out from the old engine running once again and draining the way it should?

b) I need to put a new gasket on the oil drain plug, will probably replace the whole plug and screen assembly since it looked pretty crappy. That should stop the front end part of this oil slick, since I"ll have to drain her for that should I continue with 20W50? We get down to the "teens in the winter and into the 90s in the summer around here. I want to use her all year round but she will not be put into hard service (no bush hogging or heavy plowing). I doubt I"ll ever run her for more then an hour at a time.

c) I know the purpose of the cotter pin and the possible reasons for oil to leak from there. This is not a gush or a stream, I didn"t even see a drop hanging. I"d rather not split her again, but I don"t want to foul up my brand new clutch or even worse have to rebuild the engine! Do you think the tuna can trick is all I need? Hope so!

Thanks again for your help,

Steve

You need to decide if it is coming from the drain plug, or the cotter hole.. wipe it down and observe ever few hours to see where it comes from.

If the drain plug.. just let it go with some newspaper under it till you change the oil again.. then put a new gasket on it.

If it is the rear main seal?? Maybee you got a tractor that actually only had non detergent oil in it.. and new hi-tech detergent oil got stuff moving?? just a guess.

If it were me.. I'd maybee go with a 30w or 40w oil.. though oil pressure and temps would determine actual weight.

Also..a can of snake oil may fix you up.. there are many 'seal' softner and rejuvenator type addataves out there... some of em even work ok for minor seeps like you report..

Soundguy

Since no one else has replied in this long, I will.

I don't understand if your engine drain plug is leaking cause it don't have a gasket, not even one made out of a Budweiser box, or if it is yer rear main seal, or both.

If it is yer drain plug, make you a gasket.

If it is yer rope, rear main seal, either live with it and keep yer oil checked, or pull the oil pan and replace it.

If you go with the keep yer oil checked you can tell how much it is using, and if it is necessary to replace it.

Also you said you just replaced the front tranny seal. So that should be a big + and it not be leaking.

But if it was leaking bad before and you got it good and hot, more of the tranny juice that had already leaked, may have decided to run out, if you didn't clean the cavity good.

I hope that made sense.

Seems like me and you are on the same wavelength, and post time tonight... LOL

I bet you ain't as drunk as I am though.. LMAO.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back