Changing Oil in Super Major

Anonymous-0

I'm about to change my '62 Super Major's motor oil, and am wondering what I am up against. First of all, what is the capacity in quarts? Second, what is involved in removing and replacing the filter? Third, what grade of oil is recommended here in the high desert of Central Oregon? And fourth, are there any surprises or tricks I should know about? Thanks gentlemen.

Ther are no suprises in the oil change but make sure you replace the rubber ring at the top of the filter housing. Most filters give a selection so check against the one you take out for the correct one.

1 - Capacity = 12 imp. pints + 2 for the filter.

2 - Oil grade = Above 90 degrees HD40. So a good diesel engine multigrade 15/40W should be OK. I tend to use Wynns oil additive in mine. They have a lowish oil pressure as a rule and I like Wynns. I would not use a synthetic oil as they tend to attack the seals on these older engines according to my oil supplier.

3 - Just take the bolt out of the filter and don't loose the spring and plate that fits inside. You may have to give it a clout if it is stuck on the seal.

Forgot to mention that Ford changed the Injection pump in 1962 so you may have a Minimec pump. If so you will need to change the oil in the governor housing. 15/16" on the top is the filler, 1/2" on the side is the oil level and 1/2" on the bottom is the drain. Expect a mixture of oil and diesel in here, this is normal. refill with the same oil you use in the engine.

If you do not have a Minimec pump but have a vacuum goverened one with two pipes going to the inlet manifold, no oil, no worries.

Don't forget to change oil in the air cleaner and refill to the level marked in the cup.

Thanks, Majorman. Very helpful. Mine has the vacuum operated pump with the two lines going to the intake manifold. I've always wondered which one I have, now based on your description I know. By the way, the blade works great, and the lift is a dream, now that I know how to raise and lower it with the position control.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back