CDL revisited

Straw Boss

I read all the posts about 4 pages back on the medical card requirements.
I'm in South Dakota and have a CDL class A license - combination vehicle greater than 26,000 LB GVWR with trailer greater than 10,000 LB GVWR. Includes car/light truck/moped
Endorsements: T-Doubles/Triples, N-Tank

This has always been good enough for driving our fuel truck around the country side (a retired Standard Oil route truck-single axle).
Also good enough for driving semis all over the state pulling pup trailers behind the lead trailers as long as total trailer length is under 81 1/2 feet long.

A farm is considered a commercial enterprise and requires the same rules as an over the road driver in theory. Meaning medical card, log books, and maybe a few other things I don't know about, but as a farmer I am exempt from those AS LONG AS I DO NOT....A: travel more than 100 miles from my base of operation and....B: do not cross state lines.

So never in my life driving a semi to haul my grain to town have I had to have a medical card or keep a log book.

I once crossed into Minnesota to pick up my own bean seed direct from the seed company and got stopped on the return trip. He let me go as it was my truck, my seed, for my farm, but didn't like I crossed the state line. I was back on the South Dakota side when stopped and I don't think he could do much about it as I was back in state.
I also had my insurance, registration and DOT inspection up to date and all in my name. (No company name or corp. or LLC)

Anyhow, back to the new laws.

The way I read it, I check the box for Excepted intrastate: Operate inside South Dakota only and does not have a school bus endorsement. Or in other words: Intrastate, but operating exclusively in transportation or operations excepted from all or part of the State driver qualification requirements. Only the affidavit must be submitted. (No medical certificate)

Funny thing is, if I checked Excepted Interstate: I can cross state lines commercially but are exempt from meeting the Federal DOT medical card requirements (e.g. bee keepers, custom harvesters, federal government employees, farmers in straight trucks, etc.)

So if I check interstate, I can cross state lines as long as its a straight truck but not a semi.
And if I check intrastate, I can drive a semi but not cross state lines.

Long way to get here but my question is...either way your exempt from the medical card bs the way I read it so why is everyone rushing around to get a medical exam if they don't need it? If you farm in multiple states I understand but otherwise what am I missing?

Just making a guess here, but I"d say the confusion is caused by the fact that the Feds can issue rules for interstate travel, but when it comes to the intrastate stuff, the state can then put their own spin on the rules as they see fit. Basically what works in one state may, or may not work in others... So, when things are already as screwed up at state level as they usually are (ie exemptions for this instance but not that one unless it occurs on the fourth Friday of the 13th month ending in J), and then another federal rule is thrown into the mix, the end result is one HUGE pile of BS that a driver can easily step in if he"s not careful. In the end it"s always better to be safe than sorry, and as much as we all fuss about the medical card, I don"t think anyone can say that getting a very simple physical every other year is a bad thing.

My question is still why make you have a medical card if you're not driving commercially?

I'm headed down tomorrow and take me 2 exemptions and forget about it until either I need to drive for hire or they make the next stupid rule change.

The thing is if you have a CDL and do not give your state a copy of your medical card, you may loose your CDL and have to take the written and driving test again, after your wife bails you out of jail.
I am not saying you need one but I do. Hazmat loads five days a week in more than one state.

"This has always been good enough for driving our fuel truck around the country side"

That is not true you need a X endorsement

"A: travel more than 100 miles from my base of operation and....B: do not cross state lines."

A: Its 150 miles
B: That depends on what kind of reciprocity agreement your state has with other states.

"No company name or corp. or LLC"
Company names are required on all trucks; even farm trucks.

"I check the box for Excepted intrastate"
You can not check exempt and haul hazmat (fuel)
You can not check exempt and drive a combination vehicle and cross a state line; your state will set the rules if you stay in state.
"In custom harvesting on a farm or to transportation of farm machinery and supplies used in the custom harvesting operation to and from a farm or within 150 miles of the farm (does not apply to the transport of hazardous materials requiring a placard or to combination vehicles)"

"Long way to get here but my question is...either way your exempt from the medical card bs the way I read it so why is everyone rushing around to get a medical exam if they don't need it? If you farm in multiple states I understand but otherwise what am I missing?"

I have a CDL for Interstate trucking, over the road out of the state of SD, and of course need a med card. Same as it has always been for me as OTR trucker. Difference is now have to send copy of med card to Drivers Licensing in state of SD. If they don't have a copy of current med card on file they down grade your license so you aren't legal to drive out of state as a OTR trucker. Use to be if you didn't get your med card updated you could sneak by until you got time to take the physical. Now you are down graded on the day it expires and would be subject to fines and out of service if caught. Doesn't change much except big brother watching everything.

Thanks for the corrections.
150 miles.
Tanker does not mean fuel.
Can I haul 10-34-0 fertilizer in a tank without a hazmat endorsement? Its been so many years since I applied for the CDL, I don't remember why I got the tank endorsement.
I think you can haul fuel in the back of your pickup without any restrictions as long as its less than 100 or 120 gal.??? Just about EVERYONE around here hauls 300 - 500 gallons on a car trailer to feed those thirsty combines and 4WDs. No placards, no hazardous endorsements etc.

As far as company names on the door of a farm truck, many here don't and no one has ever said a thing. I don't even have a company name. I thought it was farmer exempt along with log books and medical cards.

Getting off track here. Still wondering why everyone is getting med. cards if they don't need them.

10-34-0 fertilizer is NOT REGULATED BY USDOT.

Hazmat rules start at one of the below
Gasoline in container of 8 gallons or more
Gasoline in small containers if you have 1001 lbs total or more
Diesel in containers of 119 gallons or more

Its not that they are getting medical cards.
If they have a CDL and do not certify they lose the CDL
They do not understand the rules on how to certify
And they are complaining that big brother is sticking his nose in their life.

Its more about......
I am just a farmer not a trucker so why do I have to do all this dumb truck driver stuff.
Heck most of the ones talking about it most likely do not need a CDL in the first place cause farmers are exempt in most states even with a tractor trailer.
I looked up South Dakota
If you only use your trucks for farm; stay within 150 miles; do not go out of state; do not haul hazmat; you do not need a CDL even for your tractor trailer. Says nothing about straight truck only.

Who Does Not Need A South Dakota Commercial Driver License?

• Operators involved in farm to market transportation movements, at least 16 years of age holding a valid
operator’s license, limited to those operators of a farm vehicle:
(a) Controlled and operated by a farmer,
(b) Used to transport either agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from a farm, and
(c) Not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier,
(d) Used within 150 miles of a person’s farm.

If you are doing more than above you would need a CDL; but then again you would not be exempt so you would need a medical card also.

I agree with you Wayne. Its not a bad idea to get a physical every couple of years, just because. They don't cost that much anyway. I think its just human nature to try to find a loop hole.
I have to get to get the physical anyway, because I drive class 8 trucks for money every now and then.
As soon as the doc signs my medical card, I run it over to the DMV. Might as well, the day's already screwed up anyway.

Maybe farm trucks are different but I was told that anything over 10000 or 26000 combinationed had to have a med card. At least in Maryland you do and all the trucks at work over 10000 the guys have to have a med card.

Thank you for clearing this up for me.
So this is where I'm at.

I have a CDL that's worthless for farm use as I don't need it, it doesn't give me any liberties I don't already have as an exempt farmer. But if I want to keep my CDL so I don't have to re-test some day, just send in the exempt form on the med card.

Its also worthless for non-farm use without the med card, but If I claim exempt for now, I keep the CDL status and can always get a physical at a later date if I want to upgrade my CDL for interstate hauling.

Yes???

Yes. I am in your same situation. Don't need a CDL but I have one anyway. I got in on the driver exemption on the last day of 1992. I aint driven a combination truck since 1991 but you never know when the need may arise.

Once you crossed the state line you could have received a citation.I have had trucks used[hauling seed beans] commercially and now for farming only and I personally think that requiring a CDL&Med card,even for farming only would eliminate a few drivers that should not be driving anything bigger than a Ford Pinto that are a hazard.88,000[fall exemption] is almost 25 times as much as most cars weigh and require more skill.

Why is everyone so afraid to see their medical provider and get their medical card for the CDL? If you have a condition that prevents you from getting a health certificate then you should definately not be driving any truck anywhere.I hope no one is so dumb that they would argue with me on that fact...

People with disabilities can still get a CDL but there will be some restrictions.

Finally, if you do not want to follow the rules than pay the fines. To me it is such a non-issue that I hope no on brings it up again. Talk tractors instead.as the forum is titled.

I'll add a few observations and opinions here....
First, let me say that my OPINION is that ANY driver of a vehicle larger than a Hummer should be REQUIRED to have some level of training and qualification to drive a large vehicle. I specifically refer to RVs and U-haul trucks.
Anybodt can go out and buy a big road tractor and a 53-foot trailer and convert it to an RV, and then drive it LEGALLY on a regular driver's license.
HOWEVER- does it take any different level of skill and qualification to drive a 75-foot-long combination vehicle whether it is a commercial truck, a farm truck, or an RV???
Perhaps it should not require a CDL, but it should require at least a minimal level of training and skill. Maybe an endorsement on the license for larger vehicles. More of a safety issue than a money issue.
Most farmers can outdrive the average OTR driver in my observation anyways, so passing minimal qualifications should not be a problem.

it be nice if they just say over 15000gvw dot number cdl and med card no exception. nation wide . of course that wont fly it just to simple

I didn't take time to read everybody's spin, but here in NH (I called the DMV) if I do not provide a copy of medical card, to the DMV, by the end of January my CDL-A will be suspended! No ifs, ands or buts!
Now, whether your application (need for a CDL) may be subject to interpretation, or not, is another matter!
Long story short -- If you want to keep your CDL, you better have a valid Med Card on file with your DMV! It's a federal regulation!, and my understanding is that the individual states can make the rules more stringent, but not less stringent!
HTH, Dave

I am in good health and the medical card is not the issue. I can pass a physical any day of the week.

Not following the rules is also not the reason I ask.

The issue is UNDERSTANDING the rules.
Specifically as they apply to a farmer driving a semi and weather or not I need the medical exemption to keep my CDL vs. getting the physical when I can't drive out of state anyway (whilst in the act of farming activities).

I'm sure I understand all this, its just that I don't think many others do because my neighbors are falling all over themselves to get a physical when they don't need it. AGAIN..NOT A BAD IDEA TO GET A PHYSICAL...I get it...the question is WHY???? when they don't need it to comply?

As far as tractor related, I use this same truck to haul old tractors and machinery all the time and often out of state, but that's a whole different discussion I didn't want to muddy the water with at this time.
a140564.jpg

The way I see it, is we're discussing two different issues here!
Issue #1 is do you need a CDL to preform the farming operations you describe. The answer varies!
Issue #2 is do you need a medical card to maintain your CDL. The answer is [b:2613d176a3]YES!![/b:2613d176a3]

Not knowing every aspect of your situation here is what I suggest after skimming S.D. laws.
As a farmer that stays in S.D. you do not need a CDL or a medical card to do farm hauling in a tractor trailer or a straight truck. The only wiggle to that is hazmat such as hauling fuel to your farm.
As a farmer in S.D. that crosses state lines you do not need a CDL or medical card as long as you stay in 150 miles and drive a straight truck only. A tractor trailer across state lines requires a CDL and a medical card by federal law.

So if ever there will be a chance you want to cross the state line with your straight truck claim interstate exempt.
If you will never cross a state line claim intrastate exempt.
This will allow you to keep your CDL for now without a medical card. If in the future you ever want to upgrade so you can take your tractor trailer across state lines you just need to get a medical card and upgrade your CDL to interstate non exempt.

My advise comes from these 2 pages........

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/faqs.aspx#question2

http://dps.sd.gov/licensing/driver_licensing/documents/MedicalCertificationAffidavit-descriptionofcategories.pdf

Under Indiana law any CDL holder must have a valid medical card on file, no Intrastate exception.

Previously you were allowed 1 year from when the physical expired to renew the physical without retaking a skills test. That has been reduced to 30 days. You cannot drive any commercial vehicle while the medical card is expired.

In a previous thread, here or maybe elsewhere, it was stated that in Colorado your drivers license is completely invalid if your medical card is expired.

If you're overweight get on a diet and workout regimen.

Think of it as preventitive maintenance, like checking the brakes, antifreeze, or tires even when you are not absolutely required by law to do it. The person driving is probably the most important factor in safely driving a truck or any other vehicle. Why not verify that the driver is in condition to drive?

Reluctance to get a current medical card can be a flag that a drive suspects he already has a medical problem.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back